A&H

IDFK AND DOGSO

Harry.

Suppose GK taked THE FK,he touched the ball twice before anyone could touch it,at the same time,he apparently denied an opponent's OBVIOUS goal scoring oppotunity.For this instance,IDFK + what?My friend told me no card for 2-touch itself,because it's just an infringement,not an offence nor a foul.Would a YC(for USB)be a sensible decision?I want to hear your opinions.

The Referee Store
DOGSO is only applicable to offenses which are punishable by a DFK. Since this is not, that would not be an option. It would simply be an IDFK to the opponents.

DOGSO is only applicable to offenses which are punishable by a DFK. Since this is not, that would not be an option. It would simply be an IDFK to the opponents.
That's not accurate Ryan. The offence can be punished by either, as the guidance in LOTG sets out.
LOTG p130 said:
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick

Oops, my mistake ASM. Nonetheless, in the situation outlined, I am having a hard time imagining how one could be absolutely certain that a goal scoring opportunity was obvious when a free kick was taken by a player and immediately touched by that same player again. The reason being that the attacking player did not have control of the ball at the time of the infraction.

I'm with you on that Ryan, struggling to work out whether this would be DOGSO without seeing the scenario in front of me.

In theory it's possible, I guess? But the first kick would have to be a miskick?

Okay, let's flesh it out. Keeper is on the edge of his area and tried to kick the ball to the centre back who was not expecting the ball. Its a poor kick which trickles forward. A striker reads the play and scampers through unhindered but the keeper tackles him with a slide before the striker touches the ball? No other player within 20 yards. The incident happens 5 yards outside area Central to the goal.

Decision?

Yes I agree. And that is probably the worst example of how this scenario could happen.

No, it's probably the one where I'd be closest to booking. Otherwise I can't imagine this situation being anywhere near a booking.

Defender heads the ball back towards his own goal with the intention of allowing his keeper to catch it, but manages to put too much poundage on it, causing it to loop high over his goalie, the ball is clearly dropping under the crossbar and between the goal posts for a certain own goal...............the goalkeeper (in true Peter Shilton style) dives backwards at full stretch and somehow tips it over the crossbar to safety.

(Who'd be a referee eh?)

Back