A&H

Ideal distance from play

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
i did a couple of games yesterday, and while I felt my overall performance was good and I'm improving some things I've picked up on during my 6 games, one thing that's been bugging me is my positioning.

Namely that I feel I was getting too close to play where maybe it wasn't required.

I think part of this was due to the wind, which was making the ball fall short of its intended target, but it got me thinking, what is the ideal distance you should be from the ball during open play?

The Referee Store
Close enough to be able to get a good viewing angle on play and make credible decisions.

Far enough away to not be in the way of play or potential runs and passes.

:D

You can generally tell when you're too close, you end up taking all sorts of evasive action.

There's no definitive answer for this as there are so many variables. Obviously of you're operatng with ARs then your positioning and proximity to the ball will be very different from when you are on your own. You also have to maintain a position to watch for offsides and how the play might develop. I was once told that if you are within 10 yards of the ball then you are probably in the way and I have found this useful advice.

15 and 45 - 15 yards away (14m or so), thus close enough to see / keep up with play, but not so close you're playing, and at 45 degrees to play so you have an angled view of whats happening - looking at it from the diagonal not square on.

was told that from a L2a official, and since have had good comment on my positioning.

Thanks guys, I will concentrate bit more on keeping a sensible and practical distance from play in my next match.

I think I got a bit caught out by the wind yesterday, and might have slipped back in to player mode a couple of times.

If you're on your own I personally try to keep 45 degrees to the ball, and the ball/attack always in front of you (ball between you and the goal being attacked), about 10 yards away.

That gives you a good angle on play but also for offsides to if not being done by CAR.

As you get more experienced you'll find it just happens without too much conscious thought.

Close enough to be able to get a good viewing angle on play and make credible decisions.

Far enough away to not be in the way of play or potential runs and passes.

:D

You can generally tell when you're too close, you end up taking all sorts of evasive action.
If I apply a bit of Mathematics to that statement .......I work out that the optimum distance is 52 .6 yards away at all times ...I'm pretty spot on during most games :D:D

General run of play: about 15 metres distance, trying to keep a decent viewing angle. Try to remain behind the ball. You can vary your positioning in line with play. Inside the penalty area, I usually try to be a little closer, for example. With experience growing you'll just sense the best position for you in relation to the level of the matches you're reffing.

Last edited:
None of this seems to take into account that the ball is constantly moving! And at grassroots level generally moving in unexpected ways. It's all very well saying be 15 yards away at such and such an angle - but what happens when they pass it (or attempt to pass it)?

None of this seems to take into account that the ball is constantly moving! And at grassroots level generally moving in unexpected ways. It's all very well saying be 15 yards away at such and such an angle - but what happens when they pass it (or attempt to pass it)?

I actually think the above post nails it; you try to work smart, 'how'd you give that from there? You try to work hard by running after the ball for 90 minutes, you end up busted so end up with 'how'd you give that from there.'
Textbook catch 22.

Errrr you run after it?

Sorry; let me clarify. I was thinking more about when they pass it at you, not away from you.

Then it's your fault for being in the wrong place and too close - according to the people above with the best view from the dugouts (touch line at my level) anyway. Is there a point where all the positioning etc. in the world fails to compensate for the fact that the standard of football you're watching is enough to make you want to weep on a freezing cold, wet and windy Saturday afternoon? If you're wearing red, to take a previous example, then why do you keep passing it to me in luminous yellow?

Then it's your fault for being in the wrong place and too close - according to the people above with the best view from the dugouts (touch line at my level) anyway. Is there a point where all the positioning etc. in the world fails to compensate for the fact that the standard of football you're watching is enough to make you want to weep on a freezing cold, wet and windy Saturday afternoon? If you're wearing red, to take a previous example, then why do you keep passing it to me in luminous yellow?

Personally I don't think we're in a position to criticise the general quality of the play. If you feel it's that bad move to another league.

If like me as a fellow L7 the better 'standard' of play has you running lines instead of middles you have two choices - put up with it and get on with it or work the slippery pole of promotion and climb the ranks.

To be fair to the players they may be wishing they had a 'better quality' (I.e. Higher qualified) referee.

I'm grateful for every game I get, not arsed how good the teams are, only paying attention to my own performance.

I don't get to do lines - different system entirely. Only 3 tiers of adult football in the North here - junior, intermediate and senior and referees classed as same. As for promotion, not the same fair and open system as the mainland unfortunately (not that I have any ambitions on that score in case that sounds like sour grapes)
Not really criticising standard - I can't criticise anyone I was that bad! Point I was making was that for all our effort to stay out of the way, it is inevitable at this level that players will drag us in no matter what we do.

Sometimes the standard of game makes it difficult to work on positioning, try and get an angle a 45 degree angle where you can whilst being that 15 yard distance.
This gives you enough vision the recognise a foul and still see other things in your vision.

Try and look for the space that players create for you but also making sure your not blocking a pass or another player.

It will come over time, keep at it.

Interesting reading. I was told in course 10 yards is good, but having refereed an U9s match as part of the course I felt too close to the action at times (wasn't in the way as such, but felt with older players I would have inevitably been).

Having read this I think when I get my first match I'll try adapt it to 15, which I think I'll feel more comfortable with & consider the angle I'm at a little more. I probably concentrated more on being able to see assistants as opposed to what angle I was at and while I got away with it and felt I did well with that age on a small pitch, in open age I'd probably struggle (not to mention that it'd be a change to club assistants, which I assume adds a slightly different dynamic in that I'll need to be in a position to consider offsides).

Back