A&H

I should know this but.....

Thanks all. Think if it ever happens to me I'm going with majority view on here.

Dismissing a manger then allowing him, or her, in my example, to play in the match is just asking for trouble and likely to lead to another misconduct report or two!

The Referee Store
Thanks all. Think if it ever happens to me I'm going with majority view on here.

Dismissing a manger then allowing him, or her, in my example, to play in the match is just asking for trouble and likely to lead to another misconduct report or two!

Just make sure then that you get rid of him or her for something that merits an actual red card and that you show the red card.

Last thing you want is an appeal on the basis that he or she should have been able to come on as a sub because the offence for which he or she was removed wouldn't have been punished by a red card had it occurred on the pitch.

I think from memory that the document produced above for the SSMFL came about because a player manager had been removed for acting like a fool in his technical area, but hadn't done anything that would have drawn a red card. Which led to a bit of a hoo ha when he tried to bring himself on and was refused, hence the league seeking clarity from the FA.

Hi Nalbi
Thanks for the link. Makes sense at higher levels.
At grassroots there is going to be few A technical infringements that is going to warrant removal. Most times it is going to be B offences such as dissent, OFFINABUS, coming on the FOP which are all cards IMO.

Just wait to teams catch on to this, no doubt everyone official in the dug out will be the physio! -

The referee (…)

• takes action against team officials who fail to act in a responsible manner and
may expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds; a medical

team official who commits a dismissible offence may remain if the team has

no other medical person available, and act if a player needs medical attention

Just wait to teams catch on to this, no doubt everyone official in the dug out will be the physio! -

The referee (…)

• takes action against team officials who fail to act in a responsible manner and
may expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds; a medical

team official who commits a dismissible offence may remain if the team has

no other medical person available, and act if a player needs medical attention

Can you not then ask the opposition teams physio to act as the physio for both teams?

Can you not then ask the opposition teams physio to act as the physio for both teams?
The answer is you can't. Theres fairolay issues there and theres also the fact what if he refused. Or there were simultaneous head injuries to multiple players.

The answer is you can't. Theres fairolay issues there and theres also the fact what if he refused. Or there were simultaneous head injuries to multiple players.
Good points. Different situation then, what if a team only had 9 players. Everyone who is there is playing so there is no one left on the bench. This means the 'physio' is also playing. What if he gets sent off?

The answer is, you abandon....or at least, threaten to abandon.

DOGSO and some 2xYC offences I don't care about, but most RC offences are going to make me very nervous about then making an exception in order to allow him to hang around - and in a position of responsibility like physio where you are then obliged to let him reenter the FOP no less. The "physio" at the level most of us work at is usually nothing of the sort. So you threaten to abandon unless the team can find someone else to carry a medical bag onto the pitch, and if someone else "suitable" doesn't suddenly decide to make themselves know, you go home.

I'm borderline prepared to ignore the FIFA directive on this - if a player has taken a swing at an opponent (or me), there's no way I'm going to ask him back onto the FOP just because he claims to be the only qualified phyiso. It's a safety issue at that point and I'd rather call the match off than risk inviting someone onto the pitch for a fight.

The answer is you can't. Theres fairolay issues there and theres also the fact what if he refused.
Actually, you can ask the other team's physio to help out if necessary. At least you can if they really are a qualified physiotherapist and not just some layperson holding a sponge. And they can't refuse without being in breach of their professional code of conduct. Properly-licensed members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) are medical professionals and have a duty of care in the same way as doctors. The CSP's guidelines state that:
A duty of care exists when it could reasonably be expected that a person’s actions, or failure to act, might cause injury to another person.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that with the law as it is currently written, you're not supposed to remove a physio if the team has no-one else available.

Last edited:
Actually, you can ask the other team's physio to help out if necessary. At least you can if they really are a qualified physiotherapist and not just some layperson holding a sponge. And they can't refuse without being in breach of their professional code of conduct. Properly-licensed members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) are medical professionals and have a duty of care in the same way as doctors. The CSP's guidelines state that:

However, that doesn't alter the fact that with the law as it is currently written, you're not supposed to remove a physio if the team has no-one else available.
Every day is a school day :) I am glad that being a referee doesnt mean I also have to learn all the CSP guidelines. :D

I know a few physios/nurses who play and they will always be the first to help someone no matter which team they are playing for!

I know a few physios/nurses who play and they will always be the first to help someone no matter which team they are playing for!
I absolutely agree with this. But any injury on a football pitch can easily involve two participants - and even the most saintly physio is going to be unable to treat two players properly if they've smashed their heads together. And that's why both teams need to have an active physio at all times, not because they can't be trusted.

You can’t send a physio away if the individual is the only medical person available this doesn’t include the opposition teams physio.

Imagine the following scenario;

Blue physio has been sent to the stand and you ask red physio to help blue out during injury.

Best blue striker has a slight injury and red physio orders striker off as he doesn’t believe it’s “safe” for him to play anymore

Or as others have said, you’re on the public park and there’s a double head injury who does the physio treat?

If you need to send the only physio away, write down exactly what he says every time and report to the association

Back