A&H

I saw this today

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I was reffing under 16s today and there was an altercation on the pitch next door.

My game was half time so i had time to take this all in. The game was under 15's and i saw a player kick an opponent on the floor 3 times and i think the ref did too. To my amazement the ref showed him a yellow. The manager of the non-offending team looked a bit surprised too - as well as the players.

I got chatting to the ref in the changing rooms after and he said he'd been reffing for 10 years and had only ever shown 5 yellow cards. The ref was late 40s / early 50's i'd guess.

I asked about the kicking and he said he thought a yellow "would send out a message". I asked why not a red for VC and he said he felt that was too harsh.

I'm no assessor but there is something seriously wrong here.

Do refs who are level 7 ever get looked at if they are not going for promotion?

Out of interest i once discovered a referee who had been reffing for 11 years and had NEVER put any cards in the whole time!

The Referee Store
I got chatting to the ref in the changing rooms after and he said he'd been reffing for 10 years and had only ever shown 5 yellow cards. The ref was late 40s / early 50's i'd guess.

Out of interest i once discovered a referee who had been reffing for 11 years and had NEVER put any cards in the whole time!
5 yellows in 10 years is simply a lie or an inadequate referee. It is quite frankly impossible to have such a low card count, unless he's done 1 game a year...

Not putting any cards in makes you 'last week's ref' and is probably why I get asked nearly every match "you're not putting my card in are you ref?"

Last edited:
Erm - wow - that’s all I have to add here!
Today I had a u13’s and a player who was slight compared to the rest - small bit of dissent - sorry wrong wording 🤦🏼‍♂️ Minor dissent - but easily controlled with a talking to.
He then missed a pen - and red mist - at himself descended - not directed to anyone - but again a responsible word - and all was calm.
My point being - something’s we have control of and an option - VC - get those cards out - lol.
Just done my observer exam - and would love help drive up standards that seem to have been forgotten!
I was reffing under 16s today and there was an altercation on the pitch next door.

My game was half time so i had time to take this all in. The game was under 15's and i saw a player kick an opponent on the floor 3 times and i think the ref did too. To my amazement the ref showed him a yellow. The manager of the non-offending team looked a bit surprised too - as well as the players.

I asked about the kicking and he said he thought a yellow "would send out a message". I asked why not a red for VC and he said he felt that was too harsh.

I'm no assessor but there is something seriously wrong here.

Theres is/was a ref locally who was in his late 70s..... EVERY tackle was PLAY ON!!! :angel:..... They loved him!!!

2 games both youth 3 yellows. Low total weekend and i get asked if i will be putting them through.

Not unless there is a report about performance to the league or the CFA. There is currently no monitoring system for referees outside the promoting schemes.

If you become aware of such a referee, you are more or less, duty bound to report them to the CFA. They are breaching the regulations on referees, and will cause every subsequent referee to be asked "are you putting them in?".

Also, if a team is use to having them and then get PROPER referee for say a county cup match, they will receive the "shock from hell", when they do the right thing of cautioning for reckless tackles, etc. I had one cup match, where one of the teams played in a league usually without referees. Seven cautions into the game, they realised they could not play as they normally did - they eventually lost heavily as they could not foul to stop attacks.

Guy is out of order. No doubts
But
Perspective, as much as 9 out of 10 refs will take it as serious as possible, train, do paperwork, take pride in performance, there is always going to be one who genuinely does not take on board their duties, to him he might well see himself as doing the sport a favour just by turning up.
Its entirely possible in his spectrum he has done the right thing, he might be genuinely unaware of the correct action to take and its implications, and its influence on next weeks ref or last weeks
All you can really do when you are out there is do what you consider right.
A younger/new/enthusiastic ref, you can certainly plant a seed on how things could have been handled better, however when the seed has already grown into a tree, you simply just have to let it be until it falls down....

I would tell my ref sec in a heartbeat and I know he’d appreciate the heads up.

I’ve only ever passes on a negative once, a new 35 y o guy assisting who didn’t have a clue and was a danger to himself and I knew the teams would make serious complaints... about a dozen positives when e.g. first timers have shown something extra-ordinary. Again, I know my refsec would like to know.

The youth leagues near me don't appoint referees, apart from the odd game, because they don't have enough to cover anything like all the games. The East Kent league has 29 referees signed up, but this Sunday has 83 games fixtured and 14 referees to cover them. That means they will take who they can get, so the clubs ring round to see who they can get. Sometimes this is a trained referee, sometimes not. Sometimes they do the job, sometimes not. Sometimes it's the parent of one of the children. Sometimes they haven't even got a whistle (I'm not joking)
The leagues are desperate so if they hear that a referee is not putting in cards then I am afraid the likely response is going to be "at least you've got a trained referee!" They are unlikely to want to do anything to put off someone who is covering games for them.
The CFA should be more receptive, because this detracts from what the rest of us do, so I would drop them an email, stating your concerns, and then a "mystery shopper" can drop by to watch one of his games to see what is going on.

That's pretty bad, not just the ref but the fight in an u15.

Although I know that behaviour is questionable in one of the youth leagues close to me.

Ive run the line for refs who have avoided blatant cautions, one said after the game it was because he didn't want the hassle.

I'm light on cards this season due to injury, but I've still managed more than 5 out of 7 games

Don’t get hung up on card numbers, do the game and move on. All games start 0-0 and a clean slate!

That reminds me of a game I had once, after the final whistle, the referee from the other game came over and basically told me I did "this, this and this wrong."

Now by no means did I have a perfect game, and normally I do like being critisized as its a good opportunity to learn. I realise this referee probably just had good intentions, but the way he came across waa brash and ****y.

Ive been refereeing for 8 years, and while I'm young and by no means do I know it all, I'm not exactly clueless either.

Besides, all I could think to myself was "why were you watching my game, you should have been watching yours."

To bring up an old thread, I gave my first (yellow) card on Sunday, in 7/8 games in the middle, since I started reffing.

Genuinely felt it was the first challenge that needed one, the manager wasn't very happy, and said after the game that the opposition manager agreed with him that it shouldn't have been a card.

Also seemed surprised I'd given one at the age group (u15), and then at the end asked if I was putting it through the system. I replied yes, that's what I have to do.

Is this the norm, anyone?

If you felt it was deserving then you were probably right. I wouldn't listen to any he said, she said rubbish.

I was annoyed with myself today for not carding in an u11's game today. Only after I thought about it did I think I should have shown a card. I know it might seem harsh for u11s but it was deserving. Oh well. I'm still learning! I'll get there!

Back