A&H

i got the ball ref!

When a player moans that they got the ball I will tend to use phrases like "yes, but you went through the player to win it" or "perhaps, but you made contact with the opponent before the ball".

The Referee Store
This season i am giving an increasing amount of free kicks as follows:

Defending player gets the ball on a tackle but then makes significant contact with the opponent after the ball has gone.

Today i have given 6 for this in an adult game.

How much contact is the threshold for "ok" by your standards?

It's like they've never known this to be the case!
I had one at the weekend that caused uproar. The defender slid in from behind and yes won the ball but also carelessly took the attacker out. The ball literally moved 4 foot so also stopped the attacker from being able to play that ball. I gave a PK and they could not understand why as in their view they had won the ball and it was a good challenge 🙈

Yes, you got the ball, but you also got the man ... problem solved. If you're giving a lot of these then consider reflecting on how much other contact you're allowing in the game.
what's the case if a keeper makes a save wipes the man out too? He will have got the ball, but also the man?

For a non-definitive answer, read the Poland v Argentina thread on here🤔
it was that game that made me seek out this thread. There's that penalty given, later in the match argentine attacker tries to chip the ball over the keep and made to fall after contact with the keeper. More contact in the second one - but in this instance keeper did in fact graze the ball, so....

Back