A&H

HUN v ENG

The Referee Store
I think it was soft, but also clumsy.

Two points from me:

1. UEFA’s approach to deal with racism/discrimination with allowing lots of kids into the stadium instead is disappointing - this happened in Europa when Wolves played a team (can’t remember the team).

2. Fair result - England looked tired and uncoordinated.

Last edited:
Not a penalty, and referees giving them are just encouraging players to go to ground if they feel any contact. Yes there was contact, but it absolutely did not force him to the ground.

Not a penalty, and referees giving them are just encouraging players to go to ground if they feel any contact. Yes there was contact, but it absolutely did not force him to the ground.
I rarely disagree with you, but I do on this one. James got caught out by the attacker's run, raised his arm to head height to push the attacker. Whether or not it causes the attacker to fall is to my mind irrelevant in LOTG terms.

I rarely disagree with you, but I do on this one. James got caught out by the attacker's run, raised his arm to head height to push the attacker. Whether or not it causes the attacker to fall is to my mind irrelevant in LOTG terms.
I don't think either of you are wrong.
If I remember right, either in the WC or Euros, Rosetti was preaching about penalties being clear penalties and not just attackers going over (words to that effect).
So in Lotg it may be a careless foul but it is generally being taught publicly to that penalties need to be nailed on.

Haven't seen this foul btw just my tuppence no one asked for 🙂

Penalty kick, defender takes poor touch ( when players take a poor touch you need be aware they will go to any lengths to make amends, legal or not), is wrong side of attacker, nearly any contact means pk .
Not sure on the yc

of more interest in the few mins of grainy youtube highlights, a handball then immediate shot, from the centre circle, which just sailed over.

if it goes in, goal?

Just watched the incident. That's not a penalty for me; yes his arm was head high but not a push. That's not a free kick on the halfway line. I understand mixed views on this but to caution for it was ludicrous.

Just watched the incident. That's not a penalty for me; yes his arm was head high but not a push. That's not a free kick on the halfway line. I understand mixed views on this but to caution for it was ludicrous.
Watched it yesterday so can't remember, but presuming the caution would've been for SPA

James has a habit of doing stupid things like that. Should've just gone for the ball instead of putting his arm on the player's neck/shoulder and inviting the fall. Gave the referee a decision to make. We can call it "soft" all day long but had that been Kane falling over at the other end, I'd be expecting a penalty.

Back