A&H

Humour

Ian Mitchell

Level 5 Referee
I had 2 instances in my game on Saturday where I had a proper laugh with players/dugouts/supporters.

The first was when I gave a free kick for a high foot; the foot was chest high, but the other player put his head down to head it. Both players (adult men) were approx. 5'7. A teammate of the high foot shouted "Ref! He put his head down!" and I shouted back "Look at how high the foot was compared to his head. And also they're both....." That's when I realised the guy who'd shouted was even shorter! He then said to me, a bit quieter, "Yeah, but you should see the size of my c**k." LOL

The second was at a goal kick where the keeper was perplexed that I hadn't given his defender a free kick 5 seconds earlier. In anticipation, I'd already run backwards at least 30 yards towards the dugouts at halfway. He started shouting "Referee! What about the shove ......?!" etc etc and I cupped my ears, whilst running backwards away from him and shouted "I can't hear you Keep! You'll have to shout louder!" That got a smile from everybody except the keeper, who according to my assistant awaiting the goal kick, said under his breath "I bet you'd hear me if I f***ing called you a f***ing c***" to which both he and my assistant laughed!

That's what football is all about - an excellent game with plenty of banter and plenty of handshakes at the end.

The Referee Store
To be honest Mitch we all laugh at you too :D

Always nice coming off a game with a smile after a bit of banter with everyone

I think its good to show our humour after all people seem to think we are robots who just like showing cards and ruining games of football - saying that i wouldnt just be funny with them as I would have thought they would think they can take the P.

There's definitely a time and a place for having a joke with players/officials, but as long as you're genuine and not "patronising" or flouting your position, then it can be a great tool in your man-management armoury. As can smiling because you're enjoying the game! So many assessors I've had in the last couple of years comment on how much I smile during games (little do they know it's a grimace from lack of oxygen!)

I can vouch for the need for a smile. As much as it is a genuine smile for me, assessors love you to have a smile on your face during the game, it shows you're actually enjoying the game and aren't just there to referee the game and go.

Humour is a great tool to have in your armoury if you can use it effectively, I mean, despite my tender years I can give and take a bit with the players which you can see immediately calms them down, but as Ian says, there is certainly a time and a place, don't go trying to crack a joke in a tense game because it could cause you more problems then you want.

use your personality or go and buy one and referee with a smile but don't laugh at players, you could get someone smarter than you back chatting and if you don't what's said you gonna caution or dismiss?

Back