• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
The highlights are up on the BBC for most of us.

Around 1.20 minutes in, there's a huge hand ball shout.

Giving it?

The Referee Store
First one: arm is in a natural and justifiable position; the player is attempting to balance himself whilst landing. There's no time to readjust his arms.

Second one: arm is in a wholly unnatural position and blocks a shot. Handball.

P.s. it would be useful to include the link to the highlights

100% definitely the second. I'm giving the first as well, but I'm a bit more open to other opinions on that!
Same. Can see why 1st wasn't given even if I'm more inclined to not give it
2nd one is so obvious.

And I know I've mentioned this in the past and got shot down but I do wonder how referees have not been seeing this stuff first time round live or they're so used to VAR that they ignored forgetting its not in use at non PL grounds.

Almost the perfect training manual regarding the changes to the handball law :)

The first is not a penalty this season (quite rightly IMO). Players have to be (and now are) allowed to have their arms in a natural position for the movement they are undertaking and that's exactly the case here

The second, there is no legitimate reason for the arm to be up there away from the body. You can even see the referee's arm 'twitch' as he starts to move his whistle to his mouth!

I can see the first one not being a PK with the new laws. Altough they are quite vague and open for interpretation. For me though, and I would assume for UEFA competitions aswell, it is a PK. I just don't like the idea of a defender making a mistake (misjudge the flight of the ball) and gaining an advantage with his arms quite outstretched from it. It's not like he gets bumped and loses his coordination because of it. It is because he made a mistake.

I can see the first one not being a PK with the new laws. Altough they are quite vague and open for interpretation. For me though, and I would assume for UEFA competitions aswell, it is a PK. I just don't like the idea of a defender making a mistake (misjudge the flight of the ball) and gaining an advantage with his arms quite outstretched from it. It's not like he gets bumped and loses his coordination because of it. It is because he made a mistake.
"Not liking" the idea of a player (defender or attacker) gaining an advantage by an accidental handball is an unhelpful start point in your thinking IMO. Whilst many players, spectators etc will assume that it must be a handball if an advantage is gained, this is fundamentally incorrect in Law. So long as the arm position is justifiable by the action being undertaken (mistaken play or otherwise) then it is perfectly allowable to gain an accidental advantage by the ball hitting your hand/arm.

First one his arm was in a justifiable position for the movement he had just made. Second one his arm has no reason for being up there, so penalty.

Back