A&H

Huddersfield Blackpool

but, how do you give the goal with any certainty if you cant see the ball? indicating a goal here is guessing

Coure he can see the ball, its beyond the posts!

he, or officials between them, choosing not to give goal, based on watch not beeping, over, actual sight.

oh the watch aint beeped, thats not a goal.

tech is an aid, a help, not, a replacement. ( yet)

The Referee Store
Coure he can see the ball, its beyond the posts!

he, or officials between them, choosing not to give goal, based on watch not beeping, over, actual sight.

oh the watch aint beeped, thats not a goal.

tech is an aid, a help, not, a replacement. ( yet)

You're 100% sure the AR can see this through the body of the GK? Because I'm pretty sure he can't.

_126591567_363f8e13b87b3b10a0304fd4a267882591261785.jpg

I got away with a point at the watch when a crossbar and bounce on/near the line didn’t cross the line (in my opinion, with a CAR nowhere near in line). Everyone bought it.

Sunday league game as a favour for a mate 😅 didn’t even have four corner flags.

as i say again, drop a league and thats a goal ( or a howler from AR if its not given)

its a run of the mill calll.

AR should be in line with post. Ball is beyond posts, Goal.
What a totally redundant point. Of course someone at a lower level isn’t going to rely on technology which doesn’t exist.

Do you stick your arm out the window of your car to notify drivers that you’re turning a corner or do you rely on the indicators you have supplied to you which might fail at some point unexpectedly?

What a totally redundant point. Of course someone at a lower level isn’t going to rely on technology which doesn’t exist.

Do you stick your arm out the window of your car to notify drivers that you’re turning a corner or do you rely on the indicators you have supplied to you which might fail at some point unexpectedly?

That same incident, in the next league down, is a goal

not asking them to rely on something tnat is not there, am saying they would simply give what they see,

AR in game in question is torn between rock and a hard place. He knows its a goal, but also knows glt says its not.

so instead of giving what he has seen, he has relied on failing tech

i would expect any AR at any level to give goal here. Ironic the further down the chain, the more correct the decision would be

GLT is an aid to your existing skills, not a replacement

by yout thinking we would never see epl linos on the goal line, afterall the watch will call ball over line......

When is a goal awarded in the lotg? When the whole of the ball has crossed etc etc between the posts, under the bar etc

or when a watch tells you so.

Last edited:
If the AR was on the other side he might have been able to see it, but he had no chance realistically. He has this player directly blocking his view ...

1662480431053.png

And to make matters worse the ball is on the other side of the keeper's body, so unless he has developed x-ray vision he just can't see that, certainly not enough to be sure.

1662480525254.png

If it was at a level without GLT the AR might have gone on player reaction and "guessed", but there is no way they are going to go against GLT unless it is very obviously across the line and they have a very clear view. If he went against GLT and the ball wasn't over the line his career would be over. It can't be compared to an AR at lower levels as if they got it wrong it would be human error, that is a hell of a lot different to going against GLT and getting it wrong.

That same incident, in the next league down, is a goal

not asking them to rely on something tnat is not there, am saying they would simply give what they see,

AR in game in question is torn between rock and a hard place. He knows its a goal, but also knows glt says its not.

i would expect any AR at any level to give goal here. Ironic the further down the chain, the more correct the decision would be

GLT is an aid to your existing skills, not a replacement

by yout thinking we would never see epl linos on the goal line, afterall the watch will call ball over line......

When is a goal awarded in the lotg? When the whole of the ball has crossed etc etc between the posts, under the bar etc

or when a watch tells you so.

I’ve never once said that a lino would never be looking for a ball over the line or that they aren’t capable of making the call, I’m saying that it’s no longer their primary concern when there’s lots of other things going on. I’m also saying that when you know that you have GLT which has an incredibly high success rate across thousands of games, it’ll plant a seed of doubt in your mind if you think you’ve seen it go over the line and the watch doesn’t go off. That’s a natural human instinct. You can say what you like and assume he’s seen it go over but everyone’s thought process is going to be ‘maybe I saw it wrong’ not ‘the technology has definitely failed’ because you’d have the fear of getting it wrong

You are missing the very clear fact from videos and images that he simply cannot see through the keeper's body. How do you propose he sees a ball that is on the other side of the keeper, it is physically impossible?

You are missing the very clear fact from videos and images that he simply cannot see through the keeper's body. How do you propose he sees a ball that is on the other side of the keeper, it is physically impossible?

Can we see the Ars position?

one step beyond the post, and he sees the ball over line

i maintain thats a call i would expect to get right as Ar and expect to see an Ar get right,

i maintain thats a call i would expect to get right as Ar and expect to see an Ar get right,
He hasn't got xray vision...AR would need to move 50 yards across the pitch or up in the air to be able to see it, no way is he seeing it from ground level on that touch line

I don't know whether you are deliberately being obtuse, or not understanding that a pair of eyes cannot see through a human body. Even if he went right down to the advertising hoardings he isn't seeing that. The only chance he would had of seeing it would have been to be beyond the edge of the penalty area, which obviously he couldn't do as his key priority is offsides.

I don't know whether you are deliberately being obtuse, or not understanding that a pair of eyes cannot see through a human body. Even if he went right down to the advertising hoardings he isn't seeing that. The only chance he would had of seeing it would have been to be beyond the edge of the penalty area, which obviously he couldn't do as his key priority is offsides.

neither

its a goal. Ball over line.

not given. not due to human error, but, due to tech error

anyone who smells a football match knows thats a goal

If we were to see this in the PL, do you think this could be something that VAR looks at from its multiple angles to determine whether a goal should be awarded?

If we were to see this in the PL, do you think this could be something that VAR looks at from its multiple angles to determine whether a goal should be awarded?

After the missed one involving Villa a couple of seasons ago it's apparently protocol for VAR to verify GLT didn't fail.

After the missed one involving Villa a couple of seasons ago it's apparently protocol for VAR to verify GLT didn't fail.
Didn't know that but that decision is one of the most costly, Villa would've been relegated if it had been the right call

neither

its a goal. Ball over line.

not given. not due to human error, but, due to tech error

anyone who smells a football match knows thats a goal
The AR probably thought it was goal, might have even been 95% sure it was, but without a clear and unobstructed view no top level AR would ever go against GLT. They'd be signing their resignation later if it later turned out they were wrong and GLT was correct.

So the reasoning by Hawk-eye for GLT's failure is similar to the Sheffield Utd Vs Villa incident (positioning of players/ball etc). Given penalty areas get busy and goalmouth scrabbles do occur, does it suggest a failure in the testing process to take bodies into account and does the technology need updating with additional cameras etc to prevent further repeats?

Didn't know that but that decision is one of the most costly, Villa would've been relegated if it had been the right call
A lot of fans say that but they had 89 minutes in that match and 37 others games to affect the outcome of their season …

So the reasoning by Hawk-eye for GLT's failure is similar to the Sheffield Utd Vs Villa incident (positioning of players/ball etc). Given penalty areas get busy and goalmouth scrabbles do occur, does it suggest a failure in the testing process to take bodies into account and does the technology need updating with additional cameras etc to prevent further repeats?
That's a good point, do we need more cameras then focused on the goal posts and goal line from loads of different angles?

Back