The Ref Stop

Howe & Pope

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

I see that Howe is trying to spin what happened "the ball hit his arm after he tripped". The easiest RC of the week. He dives to head and yes then the ball hits his arm but Pope realises Salah was going to go clear so consciously gathers the ball. His area a distant backdrop. Yet the papers and websites give Howe the airtime, pushed by Lineker and Co on how unfair to miss the cup final etc etc
You does the crime you take the time ...

The Ref Stop
I don't think anyone is questioning the red though, are they? As for the suspension for the Carabao cup game - it doesn't make sense and negatively affects the integrity of the game.

Everyone is taking about it now because it's the final - but most of the time this rule benefits big clubs. Say Saka or Kane get a red in the Premier League game and then they miss a Carabao cup 1st round game against Doncaster Rovers they wouldn't have played in anyway. They're ready to go for the next premier league game game against a Fulham or Bournemouth.

This ridiculous rule will have to go.

I don't think anyone is questioning the red though, are they? As for the suspension for the Carabao cup game - it doesn't make sense and negatively affects the integrity of the game.

Everyone is taking about it now because it's the final - but most of the time this rule benefits big clubs. Say Saka or Kane get a red in the Premier League game and then they miss a Carabao cup 1st round game against Doncaster Rovers they wouldn't have played in anyway. They're ready to go for the next premier league game game against a Fulham or Bournemouth.

I agree.

It should be competition specific..

if a player gets a red card the game before a final why should they have the benefit of playing in the final at all? That contradicts your argument of benefitting the big club as this literally plays into their hands And if it didn’t apply, Nick Pope would just get suspended for the first game of the competition next season which as you said, isn’t fair when he probably wouldn’t play anyway.

I see that Howe is trying to spin what happened "the ball hit his arm after he tripped". The easiest RC of the week. He dives to head and yes then the ball hits his arm but Pope realises Salah was going to go clear so consciously gathers the ball. His area a distant backdrop. Yet the papers and websites give Howe the airtime, pushed by Lineker and Co on how unfair to miss the cup final etc etc
You does the crime you take the time ...
Why are they wrong we are the only country in Europe where bans carry to other domestic competitions excluding violent conduct fair play to Shearer and co calling that out.

Why are they wrong we are the only country in Europe where bans carry to other domestic competitions excluding violent conduct fair play to Shearer and co calling that out.
Fair play for ex Newcastle player and supporter of the club for calling it out… at least 5 years after the rule was introduced and only when his own club was affected. Funny that

There's no easy answer. Suspensions just for the specific competition benefit the big teams. Take a scenario where a Premier League player is sent off in an FA Cup game and is suspended for the next FA Cup game. Chances are his team's next FA Cup game will be the following season, and he probably wouldn't even play in that next game as they would play a weaker team.

Harsh on Nick Pope, but he chose to take the action that he took.

As long as everyone knows the rules going in and they remain consistent, I don't really have an issue with suspensions carrying over to other leagues or competitions as long as they are under the same governing authority.

Here's a youth soccer example from the US. US Club Soccer supervises a club state championship and several youth leagues. If a player receives a red card in a US Club State Cup (national championship) competition, I don't have an issue if the suspension would carry over to the next US Club National competition OR if the suspension carries into the next event governed by US Club Soccer. like ECNL or SCNSL (two leagues playing under the governance of US Club Soccer). The key is to clearly list this in the rules of competition and stick to it.

So in summary for me, everyone knows the rules coming in. If England says your Premier League red card carries over to the next game governed by the FA regardless of competition, so be it.

Pope is not the first and won't be the last player to miss a final because of suspension.

Is he an unfortunate victim of 2 harsh or wrongly given yellow cards etc? No! It was blatantly obvious he knew what he was doing. I suspect probably one of those red mist moments where the consequences of their action suddenly dawn's on the player after the event.

Newcastle & the media are doing a great job of playing the let's feel sorry for Pope and the rules suck game, but ultimately only one person to blame for Pope missing the final and that's Pope himself!

What about the opposite?

Say Rashford handballs on the the line in the league then next weekend scores the winner in the Cup Final shootout?

That’s why i doubt they’ll change this.

I’m a Liverpool fan I say fair play to them if you don’t call it out things never change thats a fact.
Ultimately though, the Carabao cup is the ‘league cup’ I.e it ties into the top 4 leagues, and it’s why suspensions don’t carry across in other competitions. Unfortunately it’s just one of those things.

Back