A&H

Howdy from the US

biffnix

Joe Griego
Level 7 Referee
Just thought I'd do a quick intro. I found this forum while googling for whistles and watches, and thought I'd register and hear how refereeing across the pond compares...

I'm currently an AYSO National referee, USSF grade 7, and NFHS high school. Been doing it for about nine years now. I played soccer myself back in high school (early 80's), but it was more of a novelty game here in the US back then. Now that my son is in high school, I do a lot more U19 and NFHS (Nat'l Federation of High School Sports) matches. NFHS has its own set of rules apart from FIFA law, so that's a little weird, but it's *mostly* the same.

Fun to read the stories and see the issues are more or less the same everywhere. Coaches who are too loud, parents who have never heard of the laws of the game, etc. Thanks for the forum, everyone.

Joe G.
Bishop, CA

The Referee Store
Hi Joe! I'm from Canada so not quite across the pond. I've always been fascinated with the NFHS -- how do they get away with changing the LOTG and are they associated with the USSF? Also, what is the AYSO?

Hi Joe

Welcome to the site, always nice having members from other parts of the world.

Thought we all sang from the same hymn sheet when it came to the lotg. Obviously not :)

Hi Joe! I'm from Canada so not quite across the pond. I've always been fascinated with the NFHS -- how do they get away with changing the LOTG and are they associated with the USSF? Also, what is the AYSO?

Yes, NFHS is an oddity. There are only two FIFA-approved training authorities for soccer referees in the US. Those are USSF (the US Soccer Federation - our national FIFA affiliated authority), and AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization). AYSO began back in the early 1960's to promote the game in the US, and received FIFA approval to train and certify referees. Ken Aston was a huge supporter, and even defied FIFA early on to train referees here in the US!

Both USSF and AYSO are FIFA-approved to train referees. AYSO is is a member organization of USSF, and USSF is our National member organization of FIFA.

Both NFHS and NISOA (the association for college soccer referees) are NOT FIFA approved organizations, and therefore are NOT members of FIFA. They are also NOT affiliated with USSF, as they have separate "rules" (not LAWS) that regulate matches for high school soccer, and college soccer. They exist solely on their own, and regulate the game in American high schools and colleges, respectively. There aren't many differences, and cater to US-specific culture. For example, the clock is stopped (for injuries, cautions, send-offs, after a goal is score, and a few others), with NO time added. This is because in all other American sports, the clock ticks down, and the game is over when time is up. Having an arbitrary person declare that more time should be added is anathema to many US sensibilities. Not defending it, just trying to explain it. Anyway, a few other differences - a throw-in that never enters the field of play is not retaken, it is given to the opposing team. If a team is in clear possession during an injury, then the restart is not a dropped ball, it is an IDFK for the team last in possession. If simultaneous touches send a ball over a touchline, the restart is a dropped ball. A cautioned player must leave the field of play, but may be replaced by a substitute, and return at the next natural stoppage in play. Strange little things like that.

AYSO is a recreational organization that is nationwide, and certifies its own referees (the only FIFA-approved organization apart from USSF itself that is allowed to do so!) for the youth level. Their badge levels are: U8/Assistant Referee/Regional Referee/Intermediate Referee/Advanced Referee/National Referee.

USSF has "grades" which begin at Grade 9 (recreational) to Grade 1 (FIFA International referee).

Here's the USSF grade scale:

Grade 1 Referees
Referees who officiate in the World Cup and international matches are designated as Grade 1.
Grade 2 Referees
Assistant Referees to Grade 1 Referees are designated as Grade 2.
Grade 3 and 4 Referees
In the United States competition at the national level (including professional soccer and MLS) requires Grade 3 or 4. Grade 3 indicates the referee's readiness to be considered for international service.
Grade 5 and 6 Referees
The highest level of competition within a state (amateur leagues beyond youth) requires a Grade 5 or 6 where Grade 5 indicates the referee's readiness to be considered for national service.
Grade 7 Referees
Grade 7 is an experienced referee in the state qualified to officiate all but the highest levels of amateur soccer.
Grade 8 Referees
Most referees begin their careers as Grade 8 having taken the entry training course.
Grade 9 Referees
Very young aspirants to refereeing may take an abbreviated training course and be registered as Grade 9 which qualifies them only for very young "small sided" matches (usually seven and eight year old players in six per team matches)
As referees advance to higher grades they are required to demonstrate their continued qualification for their grade through "maintenance" assessments and sustained high level competition experience. Each referee at Grade 7 or higher is also required to successfully pass a physical fitness field examination which includes distance, agility and speed tests (as set out in the Referee Administrative handbook). The results of this testing are recorded to fulfill part of the annual registration / recertification qualifications. In rare circumstances referees who fail to maintain their qualifications are "down graded" and this is reflected on their next registration.

Cheers!

Back