A&H

howard webb

jofusref

RefChat Addict
sad to see it didnt take tv long to get to him, now using numerous camera angles to criticise mike dean,
someone needs to remind him referees get one view, and sometimes follow the advice of assistant referees, hang out your mates to dry.com

The Referee Store
Like any other referee that's selected to take charge in the Premier & Champions League and World cups, there's no doubt Howard Webb did well during his refereeing days. Certainly had a lot of supporters amongst the suits in the FA and FIFA given his appointments, but to be honest never really been a fan of his personally. Always thought the likes of Dean and Clattenburg amongst others were/are better referees than Webb.

Presuming the lure of the media and undoubted hefty pay packet proved too good to turn down.

Can you blame him? Think I read he earnt £150k the year he did the ECL final and WC final!!
When you consider the years of sacrifice put in to get there, £150k is taking the p*ss big time.
Bet the Soccer Saturday muppet show earnt more than that!

Can you blame him? Think I read he earnt £150k the year he did the ECL final and WC final!!
When you consider the years of sacrifice put in to get there, £150k is taking the p*ss big time.
Bet the Soccer Saturday muppet show earnt more than that!
i am sure he earns more now. that does not mean he should forget referees get one view not umpteen like you do sitting in a nice truck surrounded by tv moniters

Oh I agree. To clarify I don't blame him for taking the job.
He shouldn't turn into Dermot Gallagher though and just go along with whatever rubbish the TV lot are serving

A TV pundit's job is not to make excuses for bad calls -- it is to criticize them. Can't blame ol' Howard for doing his job.

And to add to that, two things:

1) Our primary complaint on this site is that pundits are too often clueless about the LOTG and the reality of managing 22 men on the pitch and countless others off it. Howard Webb has that experience and can use that experience to criticize poor decisions of referees better than can anyone else in the commentator's box.

2) "I didn't see it" really isn't an acceptable excuse at any level of officiating, least of all the Premier League. Our job, as officials, is precisely to see it and deal with it. If someone hasn't seen something, it's likely because they made a poor decision prior to the event (in terms of positioning or focusing attention at the wrong spot) and they need to recognize and do a better job of that. That the television people have access to multiple angles isn't really a useful argument because you only need one angle to know that you've made the correct or incorrect decision. The ref's job is to make the right call. If he hasn't, then I see no reason why criticism shouldn't be leveled against him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't watch BT sport what did he say?

Let's be honest I'm pretty sure Mike Dean won't be pleased with himself. He made himself look like he was best mates with Costa.

I am assuming that this is in relation to the Arsenal - Chelsea game?

I was out "preaching the good book to the (football laws) ignorant heathens" so didn't see the comments by Webb. However, what I would say here is you cannot defend the indefensible without looking a prat. I cant think of anyway to be positive about the referee handling of the whole Costa incident. It was an embarrassment.

Can you give any quotes from Mr Webb?

I heard a bit in the club house before my game.

He was just trying to be objective. We all know Mike Dean is a very good referee to get where he is and sustain his position for all this time. But if we manage incidents like yesterday in the same way he did, we won't be getting promoted that season.

Back