A&H

How to get the referees attention as an assistant?

joe cunningham

Just a quick question, I got my cup final fixture through today and it will be my first match with NARs. What should I tell the senior AR to do get my attention when a team wants to make a sub baring in mind I don't have buzzer flags?

The Referee Store
It does, but if I'm not looking at the dugouts when the AR has his flag up what do we do?

In reality what will happen is that the dugouts will be shouting "Ref..." probably before your AR can get up to the dugouts and perform the approved signal!

Bearing in mind substitutions can only happen during a break in play, a quick glance towards the dugouts when the ball goes out of play will help you maintain awareness......

In reality what will happen is that the dugouts will be shouting "Ref..." probably before your AR can get up to the dugouts and perform the approved signal!

Bearing in mind substitutions can only happen during a break in play, a quick glance towards the dugouts when the ball goes out of play will help you maintain awareness......
That's a good shout Actualy. Cheers @Padfoot

when assisting, what do you do? I see in your DP that you've ran the line before?

to be fair 90% of the time @Padfoot is right, the benches will holla ... but for those 10% just tell them to give a shout ... 'JOE!!' turn, glance, there he/she is with flag in 'sub' position ... boom ...

good luck btw

when assisting, what do you do? I see in your DP that you've ran the line before?

to be fair 90% of the time @Padfoot is right, the benches will holla ... but for those 10% just tell them to give a shout ... 'JOE!!' turn, glance, there he/she is with flag in 'sub' position ... boom ...

good luck btw
When on the line I'm Usually on spectator side so don't have to do subs. Thanks for the advice :)

Make sure you know the voice of the senior AR. It is easy to ignore it when trying to keep the coaches voices outside of your head! When I've been senior AR, I make eye contact with the ref and say 'Ref, sub' then they normally say ok, at ......... point! Good luck with the game

It comes natural after a while, and you'll be looking over at the bench at almost every stoppage. Very difficult when not used to neutrals though, so you need a way of preventing issues. Use the pre-match instructions to cover it - as has been said get the junior assistant to mirror signal if necessary. But also tell the senior assistant (or 4th official) what to shout if he needs to get your attention - everyone in the ground will be calling you ref and if you turned round every time you heard that shouted you would have a very sore neck by the end of the game. So give him something else to shout - be that your name, nick name, dog's name - it really doesn't matter but it needs to be something that makes you turn around.

Back