A&H

How to close the net?

From what I've read on here, apparently levels 7&6 might be going, and we would all be level 5 with letters to indicate whether you can do youth, open age etc.

That's my understanding of it at least

I'm sure there's more thought gone into it than the 30 seconds I gave before I started typing this, but what would the point in that be?

Surely the current levels 7-5 serve their purpose of identifying the more senior referees at county level only?

Would you want a newly qualified (current level 7) referee taking charge of a county cup game? :eek:

The Referee Store
I'm sure there's more thought gone into it than the 30 seconds I gave before I started typing this, but what would the point in that be?

Surely the current levels 7-5 serve their purpose of identifying the more senior referees at county level only?

Would you want a newly qualified (current level 7) referee taking charge of a county cup game? :eek:

From what I gather the belief is that the new system will identify the experienced 7's and reward them for their experience.

I do believe it is somewhat mislead as I know some 'experienced' referees who shouldn't be refereeing full stop.

The idea is still apparently being shaped, but I'd guess what might happen is that the FA will pigeon-hole all 7-5's but County FA's and/or Leagues will have (or be encouraged to have) their own grade pools based on pre amalgamation level or (the dreaded) "club marks" :rolleyes: I fail to see how it can possibly work properly otherwise...... ? :)

The idea is still apparently being shaped, but I'd guess what might happen is that the FA will pigeon-hole all 7-5's but County FA's and/or Leagues will have (or be encouraged to have) their own grade pools based on pre amalgamation level or (the dreaded) "club marks" :rolleyes: I fail to see how it can possibly work properly otherwise...... ? :)

Sooooo, the question here is - why does it actually need to change??

So basically everyone is a level 5, but the county FA then has sub levels to decide on who the top tier referees in the county are, as officially everyone is equal.

It's not done through having assessors applying at least a semi consistent methodology to help decide.

Would you have to be classed as a top tier within the county to be able to go 5-4, or could the county consider you bottom tier and you still could end up a 4?

What could possibly go wrong?

Maybe it's an attempt to make use of the experienced level 7 and 6 refs out there who for what ever reason are either unable or unwilling to apply for promotion?

If it is as Kes theorises then leagues would have the option to use referees who may be extremely capable and experienced, but are uneligible to be used for some matches due to not hold the required level.

It does leave the question about how this will effect career development though. As I personally think the current method give us a better gradual development as we are assessEd again certain criteria for each step up the ladder we take. Rather than having to make the leap straight to level 4.

Although I think the FA have considered this and suitable plans will be put in place when/if this comes into being.

Maybe it's an attempt to make use of the experienced level 7 and 6 refs out there who for what ever reason are either unable or unwilling to apply for promotion?

If it is as Kes theorises then leagues would have the option to use referees who may be extremely capable and experienced, but are uneligible to be used for some matches due to not hold the required level.

It does leave the question about how this will effect career development though. As I personally think the current method give us a better gradual development as we are assessEd again certain criteria for each step up the ladder we take. Rather than having to make the leap straight to level 4.

Although I think the FA have considered this and suitable plans will be put in place when/if this comes into being.
I could see the benefit of taking out one level. Maybe having level 6 as the entry point, with the same criteria to get to 5 as today. That would provide some differentiation and help provide a step up.

Sooooo, the question here is - why does it actually need to change??

New "team" at FA HQ. :rolleyes:
Change is a given. :confused:
Maybe it does need a shake-up but radical change for the sake of change never sits well with me. ;)
We'll just have to see how it all pans out. ...... :hmmm:

Missed this discussion in April. I see the same problem in The Netherlands by the way.

Here both LOTG and fitness tests for lower leagues are not mandatory any more. I think the FA would loose too much referees then. Now we have to attend two meeting each year that are mandatory (if you don't go your mark will be a 1 and it counts as assessment). 100 points to score: 30 for being at the first meeting, 40 for being at the second meeting and 30 points to win with a LOTG test. It's a bit worrying to me when I see referees take that test and score 2 or 3 out of 10 questions right. How would they apply the rules on the field? The questions asked are easy ones, not the odd situations that only appear theoretically.

New "team" at FA HQ. :rolleyes:
Change is a given. :confused:
Maybe it does need a shake-up but radical change for the sake of change never sits well with me. ;)
We'll just have to see how it all pans out. ...... :hmmm:
The new "team" have been quietly developing and implementing change for 3 seasons now. It really is a continuation of a plan begun by the old team.

The new "team" have been quietly developing and implementing change for 3 seasons now. It really is a continuation of a plan begun by the old team.

Two of the new team of three only joined the FA this year, so not sure how they have been developing it for 3 seasons ..?!

I do agree it is ridiculous that referees can go for many years, potentially 30 or more years, without having to prove that they still know the laws of the game. Hopefully WGS can help with this, it can't be beyond possibility that an exam can be added as part of the registration process. At work I have to pass quarterly anti-bribery, money laundering and IT security exams, all of which are on line and take around 30 minutes to take. If I don't take them by the deadline date my domain account is suspended and I then can't work until I have corrected it. Can't see why similar can't happen for referees.

As an aside, assessors (or observers as they will now be known) have to renew their qualification annually.

I do agree it is ridiculous that referees can go for many years, potentially 30 or more years, without having to prove that they still know the laws of the game. Hopefully WGS can help with this, it can't be beyond possibility that an exam can be added as part of the registration process. At work I have to pass quarterly anti-bribery, money laundering and IT security exams, all of which are on line and take around 30 minutes to take. If I don't take them by the deadline date my domain account is suspended and I then can't work until I have corrected it. Can't see why similar can't happen for referees.

As an aside, assessors (or observers as they will now be known) have to renew their qualification annually.
Snap and fully agree

Back