A&H

How Old Are You?

What Age Bracket Are You In (Active Referees)

• 21 or under

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • 22 to 30

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • 31 to 40

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • 41 to 50

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • 51 to 60

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Over 60

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
65 and still going strong!! Played professional in my youth and then decent semi-pro and amateur standard. Loved playing but gave up the day I realised that I used to be able to turn on a sixpence but now had to stop, bend down, pick it up, and bite it to see if its real!! So took up reffing at 35 and have never regretted it. Some very poor performances in the early years but, like aged wine, I became more sour and inebriated as the years passed!! I still love it and my experience certainly helps when incidents arise. Given up running a line though as this is far too strenuous after 2 heart attacks.

The Referee Store
I just work on the assumption that there is no 'pathway' for someone starting out in their 40's (other than attending RA meetings and regular promotion attempts). My Club Marks are good for what it's worth, but i wouldn't be expecting any contact from anyone

I'm 43, L5 and have this season joined the CORE program. I said I felt the pathway was more for younger referees and was told in no uncertain terms that my age was not an issue and I could go as far as my ability and commitment would allow.

I'm 43, L5 and have this season joined the CORE program. I said I felt the pathway was more for younger referees and was told in no uncertain terms that my age was not an issue and I could go as far as my ability and commitment would allow.
How did you go about being selected?

Well done!

How did you go about being selected?

Got an email from my county FA inviting me to join the program. CORE 2 is designed for referees that show aptitude and desire to reach L4 within a max of a 5 year period.

I got asked this past promotion application season if I intended going 5-4 and I said that I was planning on it from March 2019, so maybe that has had something to do with it. I also have been selected for multiple cup finals in each of the last 3 seasons, so i'm assuming that I'm either doing something right week to week OR all of the good referees were not available! :)

Program itself so far has been excellent. We had 1 all day Sunday seminar that covered some great topics, I've got a coach I can speak to after each game and there is a very detailed self analysis spreadsheet you complete after each game (middles only). Its been very thought provoking. This is my first full season as a L5, and I've already had 1 game with neutral AR's, which was a really good feeling.

Got an email from my county FA inviting me to join the program. CORE 2 is designed for referees that show aptitude and desire to reach L4 within a max of a 5 year period.

I got asked this past promotion application season if I intended going 5-4 and I said that I was planning on it from March 2019, so maybe that has had something to do with it. I also have been selected for multiple cup finals in each of the last 3 seasons, so i'm assuming that I'm either doing something right week to week OR all of the good referees were not available! :)

Program itself so far has been excellent. We had 1 all day Sunday seminar that covered some great topics, I've got a coach I can speak to after each game and there is a very detailed self analysis spreadsheet you complete after each game (middles only). Its been very thought provoking. This is my first full season as a L5, and I've already had 1 game with neutral AR's, which was a really good feeling.

Sounds great!
I've been baring my soul about video assessment at 44 - please do a thread on the analysis - really interested to hear.

Core2 sounds a great idea. I joke with my guys about a 25+ academy (or 35+ ;) ) but I realise that budgets and resources are limited... but that is very cool - and yes, you are obviously doing something right! Nice one!

Started at 36, got serious about it at 41, back to back promotions, on course for a try out at L4 at 44, kyboshed by calf injuries and heart condition x 2 diagnosed, retired, came back, retired, came back, retired and just waiting for delivery of new kit. Can't run much any more, so I'll probably stick to junior football.

Been a Tutor since age 45, Supply Observer since 46 and Contrib Observer since 51. Been doing international trips (observing at international youth tournaments) for the last 5 years. Now 55 and hoping to get to PGMOL Observer before I'm done. Observed 4 new L3s in the opening weeks of the season. Oldest 54; he has work to do, but knowing him well (I was his tutor on a Basic Referees Course about 9 years ago) he will work at it and get much, much better.

It makes all of the Sunday League abuse I endured for 15 years worth it. Love football. Was there when I was a kid of 7 and will still be there when I turn up my toes (hopefully not for another 25 years or so).

Started at 36, got serious about it at 41, back to back promotions, on course for a try out at L4 at 44, kyboshed by calf injuries and heart condition x 2 diagnosed, retired, came back, retired, came back, retired and just waiting for delivery of new kit. Can't run much any more, so I'll probably stick to junior football.

Been a Tutor since age 45, Supply Observer since 46 and Contrib Observer since 51. Been doing international trips (observing at international youth tournaments) for the last 5 years. Now 55 and hoping to get to PGMOL Observer before I'm done. Observed 4 new L3s in the opening weeks of the season. Oldest 54; he has work to do, but knowing him well (I was his tutor on a Basic Referees Course about 9 years ago) he will work at it and get much, much better.

It makes all of the Sunday League abuse I endured for 15 years worth it. Love football. Was there when I was a kid of 7 and will still be there when I turn up my toes (hopefully not for another 25 years or so).
Can you become an Observer at a higher level than that at which you refereed?

Can you become an Observer at a higher level than that at which you refereed?
Used to be you could go to the same level as you assisted. As @RustyRef says, the new pathway (which was first talked about more than 2 years ago), is a reality. if your reports are good enough, you pass the assessment, do some development and you can find yourself (a parks referee) observing at FL/EPL level.

Used to be you could go to the same level as you assisted. As @RustyRef says, the new pathway (which was first talked about more than 2 years ago), is a reality. if your reports are good enough, you pass the assessment, do some development and you can find yourself (a parks referee) observing at FL/EPL level.
In your assessment Brian, are Leeds falling apart yet?

In your assessment Brian, are Leeds falling apart yet?
Got a point at a ground where we've got nothing for a few years and with three of our first names on the teamsheet were sidelined with injury. I think we're doing ok for now. We'll see at the end of November where we are.

Now back to the thread... Supply League observation coming up next Sat in the shadow of a famous tv mast.

Only a week left of the poll now.

Get your vote up there if you haven't already please. :)

I'm 56 now. I did the course when I was 42 and got to level 4 at 49, off at 50 (fitness test!) but got back at 52 then off again at 53 (bloody fitness test).
Got great support from both District and County FAs all the way through and still do.
I wish I had done all this 20-30 years earlier but still loving it. Even picked up a supply league middle this weekend as FA cup has taken lots of level 4s.

Back