A&H

How much do you pay attention to what is happening in a game?

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Yes of course we're watching for fouls etc. But how closely do you find yourself noticing the formations teams are playing etc and how a game might turn out. I tend to take a keen interest and quickly work out formation and style teams are playing, mainly cause it helps work out where the all will spend most of its time. I recently spoke to a friend who essentially said he pays no attention to anything other than the laws. So doesnt really work out how teams are playing etc.

The Referee Store
It is important. Teams that are 'direct' mean anticipating the ball getting lumped forward from the back and taking up a position further up the field for example.

It's helpful to try and work out in the first 10 minutes how a team are going to play. Can help you anticipate play a lot better. I also try and watch some of each teams warm up (from a distance) to try and get an idea as to mentality, playing style etc.

I always like to watch out for that kind of thing, it allows you to anticipate the play just that little bit better.

Saying that, however, I pay attention to it as a football lover. It's all part of the enjoyment! :)

The better you know the teams you're working with, the better you'll be able to work with them. That includes playing style, team mentality, and who's considered the leader of the pack.
If you know who's most likely to give your grief, you can focus on them to nullify any blow-ups; if you know what a team will try to do, you can be more prepared for it.

During the game I notice how teams are playing, for example which team is trying to pass it about and which is just hoofing it. Also I see which players are tackling "hard" etc

However after the game I forget almost all of it as though I was never there. I couldn't tell you the score, who scored or the good players or whether it was a good game or not. I remember Key match incidents like red cards and penalties really clearly. But if a manager comes up to me after the game and asks me about a decision that I don't regard as Key, 99 times out of 100 I won't be able to remember it. It's really weird.

@HullRef I'm the same. I've literally seen 100's of goals but could only remember one or two of them. Or example had 10 goal in an 8-2 game and literally cant remember any of them!

There was a presentation I saw 10+ years ago about "tactical thinking as a referee" and it was based on something from the USSF from around 2000 (best guess?).

It went into some detail about reading the flow of the game, not getting in the way of the play, and understanding things like 'back side runs', 'overlaps', and how formation changes during the course of play can lead to changes as to how the play can develop and the attack will progress.

Always! Possibly because of the level I've played & coached, but every game would see me working out tactics & formations of both teams.
Are they playing long & direct or short & sharp? Is there an 'enforcer'? Is one CB dropping deeper? Are the wing-back's bombing forward? Is it 1 striker or 2? Where's the most skilful player playing?

All of these things being answered aid me as a referee. If the wing-back's are bombing forward, I know that there's likely to be wide play (overlap) and then crosses. This means a traditionally 'wide' viewing angle for open would be wrong as I'm not in a good position to judge fouls from the cross.

If 1 CB drops deeper, means offside calls are generally easier (massive help when you've got CAR's).

If the skilful player is attacking midfield, likely that he will be the focal point for counter-attacks, so need to be in a position when his team regain possession of the ball to judge anything

The list goes on!

Here's what appears to be the old USSF presentation from 1999 (so, a bit earlier than I originally thought):
http://01921e3.netsolhost.com/sgvsra/powerpnts/tacticalthinking.ppt

It's 31 slides long, and actually has presenter notes at the bottom of each slide. An interesting read with some things work thinking about/considering.

It looks like the USSF has an updated version of this called "Tactical Awareness" for their "grade 6 state referees". It's 37 slides long and talks about formations, types of marking, types of play (direct v wide, etc). It can be found here:

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ruqcsf0671k1bcf6dzwf/1/1678863748/19323797629/1

Last edited:
Back