A&H

how long, ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, both are factual with no issue... both have exactly the same meaning.... any player not knowing that games are generally 90 minutes plus a bit of added stoppage shouldn't really be taking part!.

The Referee Store
The poster before me, as far I am understood, asked a question.
You can factually say 73 mins is gone. Or 21 mins of the 2nd half is gone, or whatever.
You do not at that point know how long is left though, so the answer to how long is left, cannot yet be factual. Even with what you deem to be 1 minute left, there could be an injury, a goal,, 3 subs, some time wasting, a pitch invasion, anything, that might act as a variable in how long is left to play
I actually think you are aware of this but wanted myself to spell it out to prove your previous point re my posts.

Players aren't generally stupid with time, winning or losing they will want more or less whatever is in their favour.
Time is time whenever we see fit. The closer we get to normal 45 or 90 minutes I always added 'plus stoppage' to and time quoted whichever way.... After 70 minutes or so, it doesn't really matter, as it winds down it does in their minds, so add the 'plus extra time' or something comment as you see fit.. Its a none issue really!!!

Maybe because one is factual and one is variable?
wtf? Sounds like you're trying to be a little too clever here and managing to completely ignore the real world. This is Nonsense.
You do not at that point know how long is left though, so the answer to how long is left, cannot yet be factual .
Stop trying to get all philosophy 101. Yes, you do know how long is left.
How long is left is 13 minutes. Plus stoppage time. That's a fact. As factual as the other answer.
You state plus stoppage time an Oh Look! You've included the variable portion and every player knows exactly what you mean.
And usually players want you to answer 'how long' rather than 'how much have we played'. Because at that point they're probably too tired for mental arithmetic. Assuming they could ever do it ;-)

I'll always either say "We've played X minutes so far" or "We've got at least X minutes to play"

I wear one watch counting up, one counting down.
When asked, I reply, "13+ added". Then I run away :)

Doesn't it hiss you off when they ask you how long and you say eg 7 plus stoppage they always ask you 'and how long is stoppage'..... GRRRRRRR....

I hate it when they bug me for the time, sometimes a minute doesn't quite go fast enough and they think I'm taking the piss by saying there's still the same amount of time left to go... =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back