A&H

How long ref ?

GCS1982

One of my biggest bug bears when refereeing is folk constantly asking How long to go ref, half the time I just make up a number, I often completely ignore them or pretend I never heard them, then for the next few mins, Ref,Ref,Ref how long to go ref!!
Agghhhh! what kind of niff naff trivia things get your backs up ??

The Referee Store
... 12'' but i don't use it as a rule....
... 2 minutes less than when you last asked!...
... Nearly there! Play to whistle......
... 5 minutes plus extras.... lots of extras.....
... i'm enjoying this, shall we just play next goal winner!!

Keep them guessing when required!!!

... 12'' but i don't use it as a rule....
... 2 minutes less than when you last asked!...
... Nearly there! Play to whistle......
... 5 minutes plus extras.... lots of extras.....
... i'm enjoying this, shall we just play next goal winner!!

Keep them guessing when required!!!
Yeh, next goal wins
The time nagging doesn't bother me really. The players do need to know how much longer they'll have to tolerate me... after all

One of my biggest bug bears when refereeing is folk constantly asking How long to go ref, half the time I just make up a number, I often completely ignore them or pretend I never heard them, then for the next few mins, Ref,Ref,Ref how long to go ref!!
Agghhhh! what kind of niff naff trivia things get your backs up ??
You should at least be aware of how long to go for your own knowledge, and it's not hard to answer them, and it just annoys players when you refuse to tell them ever at all, so why would you damage your own rapport and act this way?
Sure, if there's some play you need to actively manage or you're moving to a better position and can't spare the breath, wave them away. But when you're waiting for a throw-in or the ball isn't being contested, all you do is make yourself look aloof and distant and cause players to ignore you in return.

Interesting one happened yesterday. Goal and caution with about 10 to go. A defender asked "how long ref?" Just as I was about to recors with pen and scorecard in my hands. I said "one minute". I saw the surprised look on his face but didn't say anything. Finished writing and told him 8 minutes.

You should at least be aware of how long to go for your own knowledge, and it's not hard to answer them, and it just annoys players when you refuse to tell them ever at all, so why would you damage your own rapport and act this way?
Sure, if there's some play you need to actively manage or you're moving to a better position and can't spare the breath, wave them away. But when you're waiting for a throw-in or the ball isn't being contested, all you do is make yourself look aloof and distant and cause players to ignore you in return.

Jeez, your a barrel of laughs.....

I just tell them how long is left, normally with the qualifier of "plus any added time".

Obviously if I'm following play or doing somethig else then ill say "give me 2 seconds" or "ask next time the ball is out of play"

5 minutes plus whatever the boys in Stockley spark want to add on as they are away having their takeaway’s, they’re back in a bit! 🙀

Back