A&H

How long before we photo players as we book them?

Jeff Jacklin

Jeff the Ref
Level 5 Referee
I've been very fortunate in my refereeing career to have been on the pitch at the same time as some of the great people of our time. People like Nelson Mandela, Mickey Mouse, Ken Dodd and Marlon Brando - I've booked them all.

Obviously you take the name offered and it is up to the FA to sort that out with the club but this offers the opportunity for clubs to substitute a lesser player for their star man and avoid a possible suspension.

So how long will it be before someone comes up with the idea for the ref to photograph all offenders which is then to be forwarded with the report form in electronic format?

I already have a give-away camera the size and weight of a credit card, colour it yellow and I'm not carrying anything extra on to the pitch. No more mistaken identities. No easy get out for the real offenders.

So three questions for you...

1. What illustrious individuals of the world have you booked in your time?
2. How long before we submit photos with our report forms?
3. What other technical innovations can you see being introduced to make the ref's lot easier/more difficult?

The Referee Store
1. Michael Mouse (genuine), and a Mr Imnotgivingyoumynameyoustupidc-
2. Never gonna happen.
3. We shall all become Borg. Hive mind.

Edit: Someone mentioned a video camera pen a little while ago. Minefield.

Last edited:
George Best. Was his real name too, wasted a few minutes arguing with him plus his captain. Was shown his id after the match. Oops.

Anyone ever had twins on the pitch? They can be awkward when your telling one he's made too many fouls, all of which were in fact his brothers.

No cameras, players will claim its against their rights and at youth level parents would never agree it.

Electronic pens that record what your writing then you plug it in download it and your forms are basically done. I use these for work and have virtually no paper work to do.

Back