A&H

Hosts vs Pharaohs

The Referee Store
The holding and shirt pulling at set pieces over the last few games is no out of control.
And the extra staged warnings from refs - without follow through - have made it worse IMHO

Yes, the ceremonial interference by referees at every set-piece looks unnatural and is having zero impact
Pathetic idea by FIFA

This one is done, Russia will be going though with 8 goals, since position is decided on goal difference.

Gives Salah time to sign for Real Madrid....

Come September, I do hope the players before me aren't expecting the level of leniency shown in this tournament for dissent, protesting and delaying restart

Come September, I do hope the players before me aren't expecting the level of leniency shown in this tournament for dissent, protesting and delaying restart
And I'd convinced myself that was the whole underlying point of VAR!

Is it that there is a no yellow cards policy for some reason?

TBH though there still seems far less dissent/protests/delaying than in typical prem/ECL games... I think it was that the first few games of this tournament were extremely strict... didn't we have a similar thing in previous world cups at the start (I am thinking Zola off in 94)...?

Looks so lethargic

I never saw start, guessing he was diff nationality to ref? Was very unsure and taking lead off refs in calls which should be his and it looked to me like he gestured play on for a two foot lunge in front of him which the ref correctly penalised

Ref seemed ok tho, good manner with players.

It is clear referees have been told to ease up on yellow cards. Busacca is not a fan of cards and it is clear that referees have been told to only card for foul challenges or instances where they have little choice. FIFA do not want suspensions in the knockout stage. So far there are 52 yellows.
If these games were refereed using PL or EUFA CL card standards there would be many teams without players for their third group game never mind the knockouts
I think the Gazza second yellow still lingers in FIFA.

Back