A&H

Hold on tight

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee

2 prong thread here... Absolutely hate this caution style of aggressively throwing the card up as it just leads to this silly scenario.
Nothing wrong with calmly displaying the card in the air... Same message.

Also, anyone have any stories where they've lost equipment.

In a league Cup final it was a warm late spring evening, palms were sweaty, went to indicate a foul and consequently threw my flag about six foot onto the pitch to a big "whaaaaaay!". Styled it out though, picked it up, back on line, indicated foul and all was forgotten 😂

If memory serves me @Cheshire Ref was in the middle and six foot might be an exaggeration 🤣

The Referee Store
Yeap. Dropped flag plenty times. Once running full speed the screw cap of my b&d came off the the flag part came flying out of the rod. I had to continue my run to stay with the attack.

More important than equipment, lost my wedding ring (it was in My shorts pocket as I realised I had forgotten to take it off just before KO). Night game. I let the club officials know. A player found it at a training night and I got it back about a month later.

First ever red card I gave was for VC, stamp on a player whilst he was on the ground.

Fumbled the red out of my pocket as I was very nervous and dropped it at the players feet. Had to bend down to pick it up before sending him off.

Lesson learnt and from then on I always take a spare set of cards out!

Not really losing something, but I got to something like pitch 37 on Hackney Marshes before realising I'd forgot the ball. That is a very long walk of shame 😒

I was assistant on a cup final years ago where the referee went to caution someone near me. After fumbling around in his pockets he came over and asked me to give him my cards without making it look obvious. By that point it didn't matter how obvious it was as everyone knew he had forgot them :)

Not really losing something, but I got to something like pitch 37 on Hackney Marshes before realising I'd forgot the ball. That is a very long walk of shame 😒

I was assistant on a cup final years ago where the referee went to caution someone near me. After fumbling around in his pockets he came over and asked me to give him my cards without making it look obvious. By that point it didn't matter how obvious it was as everyone knew he had forgot them :)
I had the same, referee demanding my book and set of cards to issue a caution. 🤣 Left them in changing room at halftime.

I had the same, referee demanding my book and set of cards to issue a caution. 🤣 Left them in changing room at halftime.

I remember Uriah Rennie doing this and it featuring on Match of the Day.

[
Fumbled the red out of my pocket as I was very nervous and dropped it at the players feet. Had to bend down to pick it up before sending him off.

Lesson learnt and from then on I always take a spare set of cards out!

And this is familiar too from my early days. First full season and I used to keep everything in my 1 shirt pocket. I had a very old Prostar kit without pockets on the shorts.

Pulled the book out first, planning to send off for SFP. Dropped the yellow which was loose in there, and then picked that up. Felt so embarrassed I felt I couldn’t put it away and show the red instead without undermining myself so “downgraded” to a caution.

I learned the lesson and as soon as I could afford it changed my kit so I had shorts pockets.

In a league Cup final it was a warm late spring evening, palms were sweaty, went to indicate a foul and consequently threw my flag about six foot onto the pitch to a big "whaaaaaay!". Styled it out though, picked it up, back on line, indicated foul and all was forgotten 😂

If memory serves me @Cheshire Ref was in the middle and six foot might be an exaggeration 🤣
I remember this @JamesL . You certainly launched it a fair distance and I did join in the big "whaaaay"! The Cheshire League finals were always a good night to meet up with fellow referees. I haven't seen @Cheshire Ref for ages.

I was on the line recently on a Friday evening. Referee came over to me after signalling for a goal kick.
His whistle had flown off his lanyard and we had to have a look for it.

That explained why he gave the GK and not the foul on the edge of the box! 😆

I was on the line recently on a Friday evening. Referee came over to me after signalling for a goal kick.
His whistle had flown off his lanyard and we had to have a look for it.

That explained why he gave the GK and not the foul on the edge of the box! 😆

Zero sympathy for a referee who does not have a 2nd whistle

AR should also take to the pitch as if they are reffing

if you fail to prepare......prepare to fail

Last edited:
Wonder why I have safety pins on my soccer equipment bag?

I had the elastic band in my shorts snap. Realizing dropping my shorts as a center referee is not proper decorum, safety pins are a must.

correct

so as AR carry a brand new one if needed
Yea sure, I’ll go and buy a new whistle every week just in case the referee forgets his spare and loses his main whistle. Seems reasonable… 😒

Yea sure, I’ll go any buy a new whistle every week just in case the referee forgets his spare and loses his main whistle. Seems reasonable… 😒
To be fair an un-used cleaned whistle is unlikely to be a problem.

To be fair an un-used cleaned whistle is unlikely to be a problem.

Yeah, but you've handled it to put it into your pocket, then to put it back in your box of tricks after. Relatively low risk, but probably not advisable in the current climate.

In any case, in many years of refereeing I've never lost my whistle or it has stopped working, and I've never been on the line to a referee that it has happened to.

Back