A&H

High Foot

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
Now, I am not sure on this one!

Is high foot and IDFK or DFK?

I was under the impression that it was IDFK, because I thought it came under "plays in a dangerous manner". But, today at a match I was at, a FK was given because of a high foot, and he didn't put his hand up for the FK, to show it was an IDFK. So, he thought it was a DFK, so that must mean he deems it "kicking or attempting to kick an opponent", but if he tried to kick his opponent in the face, wouldn't it lead to some form of punishment?
Thanks

The Referee Store
It's an IDFK for dangerous play, unless there is contact. If there is contact, then it becomes a foul and therefore a DFK.

But would punishment follow that? E.g. caution for dangerous play, or in thinking the way it was with the Nani red card, endangering your opponents safety by kicking him in the head? (only thinking in the way the red card was issued)

To bring this up again, Nani got sent off because he kicked the opponent in the chest, not for dangerous play it was SFP

Yes, but surely kicking someone in the head is more dangerous than being kicked in the chest?! and the arguments for the red card were because it was endangering his opponents safety, meaning kicking someone in the head would also be endangering their opponents safety?!

that is when dangerous play is changed to SFP. No contact = dangerous play = IDFK. Contact = If excessive force = Red Card for SFP = DFK or PK

With high foot offences, I try and break it up into 3 categories. No contact = obvious IDFK, contact but it is grazed or on top of foot= DFK/ possibly caution depending on amount of contact, and if there is full contact between the studs and the other player (ie plants his studs into the player)= DFK and red card. That's usually my thought process :)

Back