A&H

Helpful Captain?

SurreySuperRef

I had one today where a player who was already on a caution was running up to me to dispute a foul, judging by his body language I knew he was about to shout a fair amount of abuse and I was thinking to myself "oh great, here we go."

Before he can even get a word in, his captain comes running in and says "shut up before you get sent off and cost us the game," and gives him a little push to basically get him to step back.

It seemed to work and he walked away, didn't hear a word out of him for the rest of the game.

Thoughts on this? I was just glad the captain stepped in, it would have been a whole different game if I had to send him off, not just for the players but for me.

The Referee Store
Well done skip.

Had similar captain today but two of his players still talked themselves into a red.

Makes such a difference to have a good skipper

Always thank the Captain at the end of the game for his assistance. The more they help, the less issues arise.

Sadly I didn't meet many captains that were proper captains that could read a game. Sadly most of the ones i saw were the most vocal one.
Unfortunately that usually meant adding to the problem not diminishing it!!!

Nice to see.

This is an area I hear ifab is exploring in terms of giving captains actual responsibility. Like @Sheffields Finest says it feels like more often than not the captain is the loudest mouth unfortunately. Not sure giving them responsibility will help at all.

I feel bad for the level headed ones. I had a player manager throw my flag down in disgust and yell "f***s sake lads" at a mass confrontation after the final whistle. I reminded him that I don't like my flags being throw around but I couldn't really blame him for reacting that way, it had been a nice game up until then and was spoilt by two idiots after the final whistle who'd rather have a punch up than go home.

Sadly at the lower levels the captain think they have a 'get out of jail' card in joining in with a situation detrimentally. NO player has special privileges but they seriously think they do! Had many a Captain try it on with OTT dissent in defence of a situation or a colleague that went against them.

Learn some One Liners to put them back in their box!!

Last edited:
That's excellent captaining. Sadly, too often at this level the captain is just the loudest mouth and seems to think that the armband gives him a special right to abuse you.

Makes a difference when you have a good one though. Had a great one the other day who was a former contrib player who now just plays Sunday League. Potential mass con was entirely diffused because he got in first and got all his players out of there before I had to do anything.

Last edited:
This is an area I hear ifab is exploring in terms of giving captains actual responsibility
There were a whole slew of suggestions (some fairly outlandish, some less so) that were thrown up as part of the recent IFAB "Fair Play" initiative. I'm not sure that all of them are under serious consideration but as far as the captain's responsibility goes, the play-fair.com website set up by the IFAB lists the following:
Increased responsibility for the captain:
  • the main point of communication with/for the referee
  • only player allowed to approach the referee in a controversial situation
  • help the referee to calm flashpoint situation/player(s)
In addition, The IFAB & FIFA will consider producing a Captains’ Code of Responsibilities ...

"only player allowed to approach the referee in a controversial situation"
And there lies the issue. Most players will interpret this as a license to get away with dissent. At least at grassroots level anyway.

"but I am the captain" is only second to "I'm a ref" when it comes to excuses. And that's before the increased responsibilities are introduced. It will shot to the top after.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, surely ANY team mate of said would be trouble maker would be tuned in enough act in a preventative manner

"only player allowed to approach the referee in a controversial situation"
And there lies the issue. Most players will interpret this as a license to get away with dissent. At least at grassroots level anyway.
But it also gives license to deal with any others approaching as clear dissent. :)

Back