A&H

Help with putting cards through?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Balancing act you don’t want to book and send off half the pitch but then again you don’t war world war 3 to break out by letting things go.

In all honesty I’ve played the game for to long & not ref’d for long enough, my mindset is changing as I do more & more games like you say experience is so valuable.

The Referee Store
Still finding it difficult to tell the difference between a strong full blooded sliding challenge & a foul, had so many today that I just couldn’t tell the difference.

Also the slide tackle that is reckless but makes no contact it’s an attempt to foul a player but misses him so you class it as a foul or do you never pull a player for it.

Also can a goal kick be taken anywhere on the 6yrd line or does it depend on what side of the goal the ball went out.

Right the laws tell you that you penalise for example kicks or ATTEMPTS to kick an opponent. My comeback to but ref I didn't touch him well you sure did try and he was lucky you missed or he jumped to avoid it so yes you can penalise by calling a foul or even caution if you think it was endangering the safety of the opponent. I'll call for a free kick if that attempted tackle forced the opponent to take action to avoid being hurt and that caused him to lose possession.

Goal kicks can be taken anywhere on the lines as the laws state.

Right the laws tell you that you penalise for example kicks or ATTEMPTS to kick an opponent. My comeback to but ref I didn't touch him well you sure did try and he was lucky you missed or he jumped to avoid it so yes you can penalise by calling a foul or even caution if you think it was endangering the safety of the opponent. I'll call for a free kick if that attempted tackle forced the opponent to take action to avoid being hurt and that caused him to lose possession.

Goal kicks can be taken anywhere on the lines as the laws state.

So if it’s an attempted foul or slide & it has no affect on the player in possesion you just wave play on it’s only if it affects his next movement with the ball.

Had a keeper wasting time mucking about with goal kicks, a player actually corrected me regarding where he can take it from, slightly embarrassing.

Still finding it difficult to tell the difference between a strong full blooded sliding challenge & a foul, had so many today that I just couldn’t tell the difference.

That'll come with experience. One thing I'm concerned about with 'full blooded challenges' is where their studs are. If they're going in studs up, that's more than likely a foul, even where they win the ball. But I'm personally not a fan of those sort of challenges. Otherwise they can crunch away with the tackles all day. :p

That'll come with experience. One thing I'm concerned about with 'full blooded challenges' is where their studs are. If they're going in studs up, that's more than likely a foul, even where they win the ball. But I'm personally not a fan of those sort of challenges. Otherwise they can crunch away with the tackles all day. :p

I must have had 6 of those types of challenges yesterday the lads on one side all played a much higher level of football on Saturdays & not sure if they felt they could do what they liked as it was only Sunday league but they got the ball everytime it was the manner and how much of the man they took Aswell, problem is they’ll always come back with but I got the ball ref so I’m having to explain what I’m seeing & that's not easy as they have won the ball.

And the biggest thing is consistency keeping the same level all game it’s hard when u let some go & not others & it’s also hard to get into your head that if you have to book 11 players & send off 5 then so be it, in the back of my mind I’m thinking it’ll reflect badly on me if I book a load.

Dissent I can deal with now I’ve got used to it even only 6 games in, but calling an actually foul with a strong challenge I’m finding tricky I really am.

Also pens I’ve waved a few away but I’ve also given a few, I’m 100% confident and quick and assured to point to the spot but in open play on the pitch I’m a little more hesitant.

I must admit at one point yesterday during the game I thought F*CK this never again, I even turned down playing yesterday to ref, but I grew into it and actually From a few of the lads after the game even the ones I had verbal with they said well refereed you had control of the game & it wasn’t an easy one to ref.

I’m getting more and more confident as I go along, I’m just baffled confused etc at how you could possibly ever climb the ladder and get to the top in this game, I’m 34 if I ever ref any higher than sat / sun amateur footy I’ll be amazed.

Recognising when to penalise a challenge gets easier with experience.

Yes, there’ll always be those where it’s borderline careless/reckless or reckless/serious foul play. But on the whole you’ll find your self instinctively knowing when a challenge is a foul and whether that foul requires a card.

Don’t get disheartened, learning to referee is like learning to drive. You have some lessons and take a test, but you don’t learn “how” you o drive until you’ve got your license and get out on the road regularly.

I must have had 6 of those types of challenges yesterday the lads on one side all played a much higher level of football on Saturdays & not sure if they felt they could do what they liked as it was only Sunday league but they got the ball everytime it was the manner and how much of the man they took Aswell, problem is they’ll always come back with but I got the ball ref so I’m having to explain what I’m seeing & that's not easy as they have won the ball

Fairly easy one this... have some responses ready such as

Yes, you won the ball but you also got too much of the man, its a foul..

Or player first then the ball. Its a foul.

This way you've explained the decision without having to give too much detail.

Fairly easy one this... have some responses ready such as

Yes, you won the ball but you also got too much of the man, its a foul..

Or player first then the ball. Its a foul.

This way you've explained the decision without having to give too much detail.

Which I did to be fair but it’s spotting what is a foul in the first place & being consistent, and the way the pro game is going what we watch on the tv these days the slide tackle is dying art, it seems nearly every slide challenge is met with a player rolling round on the floor and ref a lot of the time blowing.

Also a couple of things I’d like to add, second half of games I’m lagging big time upuntil HT I’m full of energy come half time and a rest sip of water etc I’m fatigued in the second half, what do you guys eat drink pre game & HT?

Bookings god they’re taking so long to process in game.

Call player over, explain my decision then the usual verbal debate from player, then all the player wants to do is run off they can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds I had one fella yesterday I had to tell him 3 times get back here, anyway then out comes book gather myself get correct team number player name then put book in pocket & produce yellow from top pocket. It seems to take an eternity, any tips?

Booking do take a bit of time when following the correct procedure.

A couple of tips: 1. Tell the player why they’re being cautioned, but don’t get into a discussion over it. As for them walking away, some player respond to a “wait a minute mate, I just need to show you the card”, others if they keep walking away might need something a bit firmer.

I have used “if you walk away again before I’m finished I’ll have no choice but to caution you for dissent” it is extreme, and I normally save it for players who are walking away and I believe it is designed to undermine my authority.

But, if you use this you have to be prepared to follow up on the threat. I’ve only had one two card trick for this, but he player was generally being a tool and r fusing to give me their name etc as well as continually walking away.

I didn’t get any grief for it as I gave him a nice loud verbal warning before hand, and had already called his captain over.

I gave him enough rope to hang himself with, and no one could argue I hadn’t given him a get out.

Also, don’t be afraid of taking your time with the caution, it’s a good chance to slow the game down, especially if it is starting to heat up.

Last edited:
Booking do take a bit of time when following the correct procedure.

A couple of tips: 1. Tell the player why they’re being cautioned, but don’t get into a discussion over it. As for them walking away, some player respond to a “wait a minute mate, I just need to show you the card”, others if they keep walking away might need something a bit firmer.

I have used “if you walk away again before I’m finished I’ll have no choice but to caution you for dissent” it is extreme, and I normally save it for players who are walking away and I believe it is designed to undermine my authority.

But, if you use this you have to be prepared to follow up on the threat. I’ve only had one two card trick for this, but he player was generally being a tool and r fusing to give me their name etc as well as continually walking away.

I didn’t get any grief for it as I gave him a nice loud verbal warning before hand, and had already called his captain over.

I gave him enough rope to hang himself with, and no one could argue I hadn’t given him a get out.

That takes balls a little larger than mine I must say.

But considering first game I was scared to even look at my yellow card & 6 games in ive given four in one half I think I’m beginning to understand that they’re about the only thing on a Sunday morning that are there to support me.

Which I did to be fair but it’s spotting what is a foul in the first place & being consistent, and the way the pro game is going what we watch on the tv these days the slide tackle is dying art, it seems nearly every slide challenge is met with a player rolling round on the floor and ref a lot of the time blowing.

Also a couple of things I’d like to add, second half of games I’m lagging big time upuntil HT I’m full of energy come half time and a rest sip of water etc I’m fatigued in the second half, what do you guys eat drink pre game & HT?

Bookings god they’re taking so long to process in game.

Call player over, explain my decision then the usual verbal debate from player, then all the player wants to do is run off they can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds I had one fella yesterday I had to tell him 3 times get back here, anyway then out comes book gather myself get correct team number player name then put book in pocket & produce yellow from top pocket. It seems to take an eternity, any tips?
I was basically going to respond on same lines as @zarathustra . Why the rush? Remember if you are cautioning something just happened so its a good opportunity to slow things down, let player reagain themselves and their composure. No rush to get game going again. Take as much time as YOU need.

Again can only echo others on foul recognition, it comes with experience. As a former player you should know what a good and bad tackle look like. Call upon that experience to help you referee.

That takes balls a little larger than mine I must say.

But considering first game I was scared to even look at my yellow card & 6 games in ive given four in one half I think I’m beginning to understand that they’re about the only thing on a Sunday morning that are there to support me.

I gave 3 cards in 3 mins on saturday. After 20 mins of barely any fouls. They were all warranted but more importantly immediately took the game back down to where it started.

I gave 3 cards in 3 mins on saturday. After 20 mins of barely any fouls. They were all warranted but more importantly immediately took the game back down to where it started.

Trust me as players we think we know the game inside out back to front and could ref while reading a paper at the same time, we are wrong it’s the hardest job on the planet & I’m realising that, it’s easy as a player to call a foul because your biased, to call it from a neutral point of view is a different ball game.

First half hardly a foul & 3-0 to home team, second half completely different game especially when it went 3-2, the hardest thing I had to deal with was keeper wasting time he was already on a yellow & the opposition wanted him sent off, for me he wasn’t taking the complete piss & i added on 9 mins injury time for the yellows two pens and his time wasting, there gaffer approached me after the game and I explained it to him, he was going on & on about sending the keeper off but I was like u got 9 mins injury time & the fact your team caused 99% of the problems the whole game maybe you should think about that before wanting referees to swing decisions your way, on that he shook my hand and walked off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often find that unless the score one is hugely one sided, or it’s the end of the season and the outcome won’t affect either teams position in the league that the second half is often more difficult than he first.

This is mainly, in my experience, that one team eithe rcomes our of the blocks trying to equalise or win. Or the loosing team gets fed up of playing football and so decides it’s better to just try and kick the other team off the park.

At the lower levels you will also find fatigue comes into it as well. As players tire they’ll be more likely to commit fouls as they’ll be slower, and thus come into challenges late.

Second half’s do tend to be trickier to ref than first halves.

This may sound crazy to you guys but from a refereeing point of view I’d be happier having no HT just play the 90 straight.

I’m getting more and more confident as I go along, I’m just baffled confused etc at how you could possibly ever climb the ladder and get to the top in this game, I’m 34 if I ever ref any higher than sat / sun amateur footy I’ll be amazed.

I bet this time next year you'll be going for promotion. :p Age is just a number if you ask me. I've met a few referees that started late, and a few of them go on to take a few promotions. They stop before getting too high though, but that's fine, that's where they wanted to be, somewhere just a bit higher than the usual Saturday/Sunday league levels but not too high it becomes a bit of a burden for them.

Ah, the fun of refereeing! ^_^

Back