A&H

Help Understanding Send offs before Game Starts

NOVARef

Law 3 states the following:

A player who is sent off:
  • before submission of the team list cannot be named on the team list in any capacity
  • after being named on the team list and before kick-off may be replaced by a named substitute, who cannot be replaced; the number of substitutions the team can make is not reduced
  • after the kick-off cannot be replaced
A named substitute who is sent off before or after the kick-off may not be replaced.

So by team lists, do they mean roster checks? By roster checks, I mean normally before each game, we line up all the kids, do an equipment/safety check and then review the rosters. The starting line up is never presented to us.

What would be the proper application of this law?
I get to the field and a kid from one team is fighting with another kid. They are in full uniform, etc. I do not show a RC but I can prevent them from being allowed to play? Nothing else is affected. Proceed as normal. 11v11 etc. This thought process is intact until the roster check?
I'm confused with what happens between roster check and kick off. Say a captain spits at the other captain during the coin toss. No RC, just send off the player that spits and start 11v11?
After kick off, I physically can show RC and proceed as normal by playing a man down.

Thoughts on the details of what happens prior to kick off? Thanks

The Referee Store
For lower levels, the key distinction is whether ball has been kicked at KO: Before, the team still plays with 11; after, they play short.

The team sheet issue really deals with levels where there is a restricted number of substitutes permitted to be in chosen from.

For lower levels, the key distinction is whether ball has been kicked at KO: Before, the team still plays with 11; after, they play short.

The team sheet issue really deals with levels where there is a restricted number of substitutes permitted to be in chosen from.
Thanks. Before KO, do you physically show the RC or how would you handle that?

Thanks. But this is throwing me off. This is from the end of Law 3. This is saying not RC should be shown. ???

Before the team lists have been submitted, a player spits at an opponent in the pre-match warm-up on the field of play. If it is noticed by the match officials, what is the correct procedure?​

The offender cannot be named on the team list or play in the match and is reported to the appropriate authority. The number of players and substitutes is not reduced. A red card is not shown as cards may not be shown until the referee enters the field of play at the start of the match.

Thanks. But this is throwing me off. This is from the end of Law 3. This is saying not RC should be shown. ???

Before the team lists have been submitted, a player spits at an opponent in the pre-match warm-up on the field of play. If it is noticed by the match officials, what is the correct procedure?​

The offender cannot be named on the team list or play in the match and is reported to the appropriate authority. The number of players and substitutes is not reduced. A red card is not shown as cards may not be shown until the referee enters the field of play at the start of the match.
In the UK teams usually warm up on the f. o. p. anything up to 45/60 minutes before the game, which is what is described above - no red card at that point.
Once the teams and officials enter the f. o. p. ready to start the game, in the UK typically a few minutes before kick off, cards may be used

The cards are a communication tool. Imagine an incident 45 mins before ko, informing is all thats needed, you dont have a crowd anything, plus, you might not even have your cards on you,

Entering for ko, you are in game mode, if you dismissing someone, everyone needs to know.

slight disclaimer, always bear in mind even in play, the absence of showing a card does not negate the sanction.

Back