A&H

Hector Moreno tackle

The Referee Store
I don't think there's much in it if I'm 100% honest. Yes, the result is horrific, but the tackle, to me, is clean.

It's a block tackle.

9,999,999 times in 10 Million both players pull each other up and shake hands.

Unfortunate. Wish Shaw the best.

Only seen it in short clips, not live. Tackle looks clean enough, except maybe for the trailing left leg. Hard to see what it does to Shaw's leg. Terribly unfortunate for Shaw to break his leg. Many players, commentators, managers and partisan fans see a cause-effect relationship: the injury is horrible, so the challenge must have been horrible too. By the way, Rizzoli was very close and saw no foul in it (would have been a pen). But he may have been unsighted; hard to judge from the clip.

Working link.

from that view (and based only on what this video shows) it's a very bad challenge. Trailing leg straight into shaw. How that is not a penalty I have no idea. That said, another view might shed more light on it.

Full disclosure: I want utd to lose every game and get no decisions ever. Not a utd fan.

First time I have seen it ..............watched it 5 or 6 times ... its 100% a penalty ....its 100% reckless the ref could easily have looked at Shaws injury and called it excessive force as Moreno was lunging at full pace studs showing ...unfortunately no foul was given .

These are the tackles the authorities have tried to eradicate over the last few years and Luke Shaws leg is the reason why .

It makes football a very boring game to watch nowadays ..but last night makes us all realise why

Hope he makes a full recovery .

Easy to say with replays, but for me that's a stonewall spot kick.

It's a rash at best and the player doesn't look in full control of the challenge.

A referee could easily sell "excessive force" and walk him for that! :confused:
(& like SM, I never have been and never will be a United fan :) )

After viewing it again. I have to say I was badly wrong. I only saw the first video which wasn't that clear.

On seeing it the referee was quick to point for a corner by the looks of it.

He goes in very hard with his trailing leg. As a referee in these situations the time is all ours. Now it's difficult to keep a player on for a challenge like that when he's broken his opponents leg. I'd be sending off in my game. By keeping a player on it would be a risk for him too as players will go in hard on him potentially.

Even though I support the mighty United, I am not being biased in any way.

It was a stonewall penalty for me. Moreno was reckless and must have used some force to injure Shaw so badly. If he had some referees I know, he could have been sent off for use of excessive force, which was a red card according to the basic refs course I took

He's blocking the ball by diving in front of its path. The trailing leg is secondary, and neither careless, reckless nor with excessive force. We wouldn't even be talking about this as a foul were it not for the result, let alone whether it were a red card

Was ge trying to block it? Or was it a late challenge? I have seen a lot of those instances punished by cards. It has to be excessive as Shaw's leg was facing the wrong way in one of the pictures I saw

He's blocking the ball by diving in front of its path. The trailing leg is secondary, and neither careless, reckless nor with excessive force. We wouldn't even be talking about this as a foul were it not for the result, let alone whether it were a red card
Down the park on a Sunday that is probably a Yellow card for a Reckless tackle

In the Champions League you don't see tackles like that any more

In your post you hit the nail on the head "blocking the ball by diving in its path "

Doesn't sound controlled to me.

I've had 2 broken legs in matches I've refereed. Neither was a cautionable tackle. One wasn't even a foul. It's unlucky, his studs caught, or there was already a hairline - there was nothing wrong with the challenge.

Anyone saying this isn't a foul PLEASE hang up the whistle - players are not safe with you in charge.
This challenge is a foul and a red card. However NOBODY expected the penalty because it is unfortunately pretty much accepted that if you get a meaningful touch on the ball (which Moreno did) in the box then nothing else matters.

It couldn't have been a clean tackle if it breaks the player's legs surely
The outcome of a tackle does not define the legality of a challenge. :)

Although I don't think that was a legal challenge on shaw

Last edited:
Back