A&H

hearing from your league(s)

I did an U18 game for a (then) Premier League club. Fee plus miles.

They always asked what postcode you were travelling from to the ground, but you had to fill in the FA expenses card and hand it in.
I calculated the mileage and did a quick sun up of it and I can’t remember how much it came to, but I had it as £x.24. Fee was normally paid on the Monday after, and it hadn’t gone in so the next day I politely chased them to be told that it hadn’t been paid because there was a discrepancy of 10p between my claim and how they’d worked it out, so it had missed the payment run….

The Referee Store
It used to be easy for clubs to check as referee's addresses were published in handbooks. That has been been stopped pretty much universally, for obvious reasons, so it is harder for clubs to check.

That said, any referee claiming inflated expenses is taking an almighty risk as the club only has to ask the league or CFA where the referee is based. Get reported for that and you'd be doing extremely well to escape a suspension, where a referee is proven to have acted dishonestly their integrity is pretty much shot to pieces. And I'm not talking over inflated by the odd pence or pounds here, but where they have claimed way more than they are entitled to. I recall one L4 referee got in real trouble as he claimed mileage from his partner's address which was a good 40 miles away in the opposite direction to the clubs, whereas you can only claim from your listed address. To add insult to injury he would claim that distance even if they were starred for joint travel and the referee was picking him up from his listed home address.

Back