A&H

Heads or tails

Sounds like a sensible precaution for a referee who's trying something new that might end up working better for him? Would you rather he just assumed it would work smoothly and ended up without a record of what had happened?

Had you blocked because anything ever you prev typed was antagonistic
Having unblocked you after, a year, I see the status quo.
So in interests of keeping the peace, blocked you again xx

The Referee Store
What if one of the captains is a computer expert? Then, he'll know that an app can't produce a truly random result.

Which is why I will continue just doing a coin toss. I personally don't see an issue with doing something like the original poster mentioned. If I was the captain, I wouldn't give the referee any grief. However, I know others probably would. It's why I'll keep doing a coin toss.

If we have the situation where the visiting captain calls heads or tails when I have a black/yellow or black/red coin, we all have a good laugh over it. I could see where a "non-coin flip" like odd/even, rock/paper/scissors, etc. would present some issues with the wrong people.

The phrase "all the gear no idea" springs to mind. Its similar to wearing comms kits at lower levels, if you have a good game it will probably go unnoticed, or at least not commented on, whereas if you get something wrong in the eye of either team you'll be known as the flash referee who was showing off with a digital coin toss before the game.

Back