A&H

Heading ban

lesbobly

Does anybody have any definitive info on the heading ban in youth football in England - ami help outlet with local club youth teams; there is a lot of chat, lack of knowledge and confusion over the “heading ban” - where is it on trial? Some local to me think it is going to apply to local county cup games (Berks and Buck) but not league games … as a local ref I’ve heard nothing … have I missed something or is all the chatter just that?

Any info gratefully received …

The Referee Store
I got sent this a couple of days ago. I think only some leagues are participating and your county FA will probably confirm which leagues are participating.

Attachments

• IFAB_Deliberate heading (u12s)_Trial information_July 22_EN.pdf
    549.4 KB · Views: 15
Berks & Bucks confirmed that heading ban for U12 applies County Cups, but league games are not part of the trial.

From the email they sent out this morning:

Good Morning All

Apologies for the blanket email.

A referee has dropped out of a U12 County Cup match tomorrow at Mursley. Is anyone free to replace him.

This match is part of the FA Heading trial in youth football, amendment to the LOTG as Follows –
The law changes for these trials are dictated by IFAB and state:
1. Deliberately heading the ball is an offense punishable by an indirect free kick. This will also mean the introduction of indirect free-kicks in mini-soccer in this circumstance.
2. The indirect free kick is taken at the point where the ball was deliberately headed, except where a player of the defending team deliberately heads the ball in their own penalty area, the indirect free kick is taken from the penalty mark. (IT IS NOT A PENALTY KICK BUT AN INDIRECT FREE KICK FROM THE PENALTY SPOT)
3. Deliberately heading the ball is not a cautionable (yellow card) or sending-off (red card) offence unless it:

- Stops or interferes with a promising attack (yellow card)

- Denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (red card)

- Occur often enough to be considered “persistent misconduct” (yellow card)

Does anyone know the guidance for mini soccer (leagues that have chosen to introduce the rule). All free kicks are direct so I assume a direct free kick from the penalty line for a deliberate header in the area from a defensive player?

In this FAQs it says they are implementing indirect free kicks to mini soccer for this trial.

Attachments

• HeadingTheBall_FAQs.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 8
Back