A&H

Headgear

Kirkie

Can an outfield player wear headgear during a match. The type I am talking about are woolen hats and not protective headgear?

Cheers

The Referee Store
Don't think so, but not 100%.

In a related story, was on my first county cup game today. Just after kick-off I look round and a player has a hat on! I wait until the ball goes out of play, run over to him and say "Get that hat off please." He replies "Are you serious? I fractured my skull!"

I then realise that its a protective one (like Cech wears for Chelsea).

"Sorry buddy"

Don't think so, but not 100%.

In a related story, was on my first county cup game today. Just after kick-off I look round and a player has a hat on! I wait until the ball goes out of play, run over to him and say "Get that hat off please." He replies "Are you serious? I fractured my skull!"

I then realise that its a protective one (like Cech wears for Chelsea).

"Sorry buddy"
I am aware they are OK, but a woolen or 'Beenie' hat is what I am talking about...

The law doesn't explicitly state that they're not allowed, but it also doesn't say that they are.

I've just had a look at the FA and FIFA laws and both state that items can be worn in addition to the basic equipment (shirts, shorts, shin pads, boots etc) as long as they are not deemed by the referee to endanger the safety of the wearer or their opponent.

I'd probably allow a hat to be worn based on the fact it isn't really dangerous (It's likely to just come off if pulled etc).

The law doesn't explicitly state that they're not allowed, but it also doesn't say that they are.

I've just had a look at the FA and FIFA laws and both state that items can be worn in addition to the basic equipment (shirts, shorts, shin pads, boots etc) as long as they are not deemed by the referee to endanger the safety of the wearer or their opponent.

I'd probably allow a hat to be worn based on the fact it isn't really dangerous (It's likely to just come off if pulled etc).

Thanks for that. I am old school and don't like to see people wearing Hats, Gloves and leggings, but couldn't see anything to stop it.

Cheers

If it is soft and woolly then no problem for me, not that I often see it.

Would your opinion change for goalkeepers wearing caps due to sun?

I had a ladies game back in February. It was bitter cold and one girl was wearing a bobble hat. "What's with the hat?" I asked. "I'm cold." She said, "It's all right isn't it?" I wracked my brains and as has been mentioned, whilst the LOTG don't say you can wear hats, they don't say you can't either. I thought the the worse that could happen if it was pulled was that it would come off. I let her play with it on and by the start of the second half, wished that I had one too.

If you think it is dangerous to either himself or any other player then the answer is no, he may not wear it.

Back