A&H

Head to head

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Had an incident today. I remnerber a post on here somewhere. And want to confirm I was right.
Two players go head to head no contact but both making forward motions.
End up on the floor after wards. Orange two is first to his feet and stands on other players hands and twists his studs.

Orange was easy, other player was the forward motion with the head and the grapple to the floor both dismissed. Just the fact that was no contact had several people questioning afterwards

The Referee Store
Head to head is aggression
Motioning the head and striking...is vc

as much as giving a red each seems reasonable.

No contact. Just the macho thing of getting the faces as close as possible.

yellow, aggresssion, at worst

there used to be, and prob still is, in backwater places, a mentality that "he has raised his hands he has to go"
whether we agree with the sentiments or not, the same principle applies to the head
so, they locked heads...aggression
was there violence? if not....dont treat it as violence...

Last edited:
Strikes or attempts to strike is violent conduct.
Regarding the negligible force is for when two players touch heads but do not attempt to strike, more "squaring up" to each other.

Strikes or attempts to strike is violent conduct.
Regarding the negligible force is for when two players touch heads but do not attempt to strike, more "squaring up" to each other.
No, strikes or attempts to strike is a direct free kick foul - and being a foul, only occurs while the ball is in play. Strikes or attempts to strikes falls under CRUEF - can be a DFK only. Don't think that a strike is an automatic red card.

When striking occurs using excessive force, it's a red card. When it's off the ball and contact is made with the head/face/neck, it's automatically excessive force unless it's negligible.

No, strikes or attempts to strike is a direct free kick foul - and being a foul, only occurs while the ball is in play. Strikes or attempts to strikes falls under CRUEF - can be a DFK only. Don't think that a strike is an automatic red card.

When striking occurs using excessive force, it's a red card. When it's off the ball and contact is made with the head/face/neck, it's automatically excessive force unless it's negligible.
Sorry, poor wording on my part.
Attempting to headbutt someone though, for me, falls into the category of brutality, defined in lotg as an act that is deliberately violent.

Back