A&H

Head Injury?

SM

The avuncular one
A bit of an oddity today. Ladies game - ball is crossed in to the box and a defender heads it away, nice clean forehead header, pretty much back to the crosser. I think nothing of it really, no contact on the defender by anyone, but then I see she is on the floor and there are the usual calls of "head injury ref!"

The ball luckily goes out of play while I am thinking about what has just happened. I stop the game and go over to her and she gets up. She says "I hurt my head, heading the ball"

No treatment, game restarts. Left me thinking. If a player goes down every time they head the ball away claiming head injury, Will the world of football implode into a ball of pseudo cheating mush of gamesmanship? :)

Thinking about it now, I probably would have stopped the game if the ball hadn't gone out before I got the chance. Head injury as a result of heading the ball though? Oddity.

The Referee Store
As referee's we aren't medical, best thing we can do is always air on the side of caution. We can always say " I was concerned for the players safety" than risk playing on whether right or wrong.

And then caution them for simulation when it becomes apparent there is nothing wrong with them........

:rolleyes: Good job she wasn't heading a 'casey', it would have taken her bl@@dy head off! :)

I had two incidents in a girls game (U16) a few years ago, which show how you should treat injuries with care
1) Girl got ball in face, painful but not an "Oh my God!" incident if you understand what I mean. Player's mum comes rushing on like she has broken her leg (player not the mum!). Manager explained that same player suffered a broken nose earlier in the season.

2) Another girl breaks down in tears for no reason - apparently she had mental health issues

So although players may want matches stopped for what may seem trivial incidents and/or reaction to a knock may seem to us disproportionate, always best to err on side of caution.

Back