The Ref Stop

Hangover

Joshref

RefChat Addict
It won’t take a Sherlock to figure out why I’m asking this, but how do you guys cope with a hangover whilst refereeing? I know the correct answer should be “don’t drink before the game” but we’re past that stage now, so how do you guys cope with it (assuming you’ve had one of course.)

The Ref Stop
Well if you are off to an OA adult game, some of them will be the same!

On the 'rare' occasion I had experience of this, the obvious lots of water is about all that can be done. Everybodys different but my fear with the hangover is bowel related so a few imodiums and carry bog roll!

Isotonics can help, I favour still over sparkling.

and take care driving

What sort of an impact is it going to have on your game? This obviously also depends what sort of games you are doing. Only you can answer that question and give yourself an honest answer. If the impact is significant then did a way out of doing the games. Not ideal but if you do the game and anything happens then there may be consequences for you and the teams.

Obviously there should be some lessons learnt for this occasion.

Hard boiled sweets. Actual hangover cure and will bri g u back from the dead.

It won’t take a Sherlock to figure out why I’m asking this, but how do you guys cope with a hangover whilst refereeing? I know the correct answer should be “don’t drink before the game” but we’re past that stage now, so how do you guys cope with it (assuming you’ve had one of course.)
I might have a few pints the night before, but I honestly would never Referee with an appreciable hangover. I have a history of a alcohol related depressive episode many years ago, so it's a mental Achilles Heal for me. I'd either swerve the night out, or the game, because I'd be the one who'd suffer

Whatever it is (and its a lot) I get out of Refereeing, I need to be in good mental shape to achieve 'whatever that' might be

Last edited:
Cheers everyone for the tips. Just had a lot of water and hoped for the best. Love a 9:30 kickoff.

It was only an U13 friendly, but I didn’t want to let the teams down last minute due to a hangover, couldn’t do that. I’ve known the home manager for a long time as well so wouldn’t do that. In the end I was alright, the fresh air ended up being a good cure. And I felt fine all the time I was reffing, didn’t even notice the hangover. Luckily I got an extremely easy game, game was played in right spirit, and both coaching teams were friendly with each other. After the match I got told by home manager it was best I’d ever reffed, but I think that’s just because of how the game was.

Obviously there should be some lessons learnt for this occasion.
We have a place up here that does 75p a drink and it’s easy to get carried away sometimes lmao.
But no seriously, lessons have been learnt, it’s not something I fancy doing again, if I had a challenging game I probs wouldn’t have been able to deal with it. I got asked to ref the game afterwards as well on same pitch but turned it down because I didn’t want to risk the hangover. So that’s money I missed out on. So yep, lessons have been learned,

Back