A&H

Handball

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Vague title, I get that, but its not specific to the game I'm watching (which is Leeds v Southampton).
Ref gave handball against Southampton after the forward chested it down and it deflects to his arm, giving him an advantage.
He didnt score from it. Cant remember if ball ended up with keeper or if defended but nothing happened. But as soon as it broke down he gave a free kick for handball.
Only thought handball, in this instance, is only handball if they scored. Otherwise if it hits the arm from his own close play its play on.

The Referee Store
Vague title, I get that, but its not specific to the game I'm watching (which is Leeds v Southampton).
Ref gave handball against Southampton after the forward chested it down and it deflects to his arm, giving him an advantage.
He didnt score from it. Cant remember if ball ended up with keeper or if defended but nothing happened. But as soon as it broke down he gave a free kick for handball.
Only thought handball, in this instance, is only handball if they scored. Otherwise if it hits the arm from his own close play its play on.
Starts a promising attack?

Edit - creates a goal scoring opportunity is what I was looking for, just looked it up.

I get that, but why wait until the attack has finished if he saw a handball?
I think part of it is processing and part of it is VAR. Inadvertent handball by attacker being an offense is new and requires the R to decide if there is a resulting goal scoring opportunity. Refs are understandably going to process that. And if the R is only pretty sure there was an offense, there is an incentive for a slow whistle so that if a goal scores the handball call can be reversed on review.

The key words in the Laws are "immediately . . . creates a goal-scoring opportunity". So if the handling, even if accidental, creates an immediate goal-scoring opportunity, then the handling is called. "Immediate" is somewhat subjective, but the general consensus is that if there's a touch and a shot or maybe a touch, pass, and quick shot, that would satisfy "immediate". It just isn't going to be a situation where the accidental handling occurs 45 yards from goal, there are 3-4 passes, and then the goal is scored.

Others here have shown that the delayed whistle allows VAR to still recommend an on-field review in the event the goal was scored and it wasn't deemed handling. It's similar to a delayed offside. If the referee immediately blows the whistle for handling, and it wasn't handling, then you can't go back. It's a mechanics change for games with VAR - it obviously looks odd, but the mechanic is correct to allow VAR the opportunity to review the play and recommend an OFR if the situation warrants.

Of course--only whatever pause is necessary to process and be sure what you are calling.
Rather sad ( to me at least) that its now accepted that a VAR game is refereed differently from a 'normal' game.

Of course I understand the logistics and reasons but I'm never going to be convinced its 'better'

Rather sad ( to me at least) that its now accepted that a VAR game is refereed differently from a 'normal' game.

Of course I understand the logistics and reasons but I'm never going to be convinced its 'better'

I don't mind the brief pause so that VAR has the opportunity to correct a clear error. If we are going to have VAR, it's a necessary evil or VAR becomes only a way to take away goals not save goals from errors.

What I find more disturbing is what appears to be happening in some contexts with Rs not making a call (DOGSO, SFP, PK) because it can be fixed by VAR.

" necessary evil" sums it up.

Too many negatives to outweigh the positives for me, one (small) advantage of supporting a team in the Championship! ;)

Think I would get even more wound up by it if it affected 'my' team!

Back