A&H

Handball!!! ;(

The Referee Store
Looking at her position she comes in from way too far over on the left. She needs to be closer to the position of the free kick to monitor the wall and she sees this header straight on and awards the corner. I can only guess from the angle she got the way the player through her arms up in the air looked handball.

I can only guess from the angle she got the way the player through her arms up in the air looked handball.

That was my thought.

However, going by the reaction of the players, I would have thought she'd have an inkling that something was amiss. Also, could the A/R have helped out here?

Looking at her position she comes in from way too far over on the left. She needs to be closer to the position of the free kick to monitor the wall and she sees this header straight on and awards the corner. I can only guess from the angle she got the way the player through her arms up in the air looked handball.

Completely agree, has to be much more to the right to look at the wall. That said, there are no players in between her and the player that the ball hits so positioning doesn't really explain the decision, she has just seen it badly wrong.

I would really, really want one of my assistants or 4th official to dig me out of the whole I had dub. Alarm bells should have been ringing, not just shock of Man Utd defenders but more the Reading player that has head in hands in shock. As a referee you should be able to tell you've dropped one when one team are fuming and the other are laughing.

Since when did any handball in the box become a caution?

Well, it was deliberate :p

I think sometimes the caution has been used as a tool to "sell" the PK. But I completely agree--there is nothing inherent in a PK-handball that requires a caution, nor do I believe there ever has been such a standard in the Laws. But in some places at some times it has been the practice.

I'd think they're all put down as SPA as when you're in the box, it's probably a promising attack. Of course, it's not mandatory

Since when did any handball in the box become a caution?

Some referees just like an excuse to flash the yellow?

I once got told after an observation that I should always caution for a foul that gives away a penalty (regardless of the severity etc). No explanation was given as to why I should.

I once got told after an observation that I should always caution for a foul that gives away a penalty (regardless of the severity etc). No explanation was given as to why I should.
Got told the same thing by an assessor back in the days of what's now 6-5. Said it would help "sell the decision". I said me hitting the whistle and pointing to the spot 100% confidently sells it. Madness.

Had one ref tell me he would do the same. Promptly did. Softest yellow I have ever seen, possibly.

Used to be a case of a foul in PA being SPA (BUPA) almost everytime and a yellow. But now the laws specifically exempts for cautions when attempting to play the ball. The exception condition was introduced to reduce the number of yellows after a penalty (in line with reduced punishment for DOGSO).

Back