A&H

Handball - your proposed wording

The Referee Store
Hi
The reason DHB is such a big ticket item is due to penalty kick decisions. Limited debate elsewhere on the FOP. Case in point United v PSG.
My take on this is that the new IFAB change will still create the same problem. From what I read it seems like IFAB wants to stop the hands behind the back challenges that's all.
If we use the hockey analogy then every time the ball hits the arm make it a technical foul not a penal foul. If the DHB results in a red card it should be a penalty kick.
Then it is simple. Every time the ball hits an arm it is an IDFK. No need to decide if it intentional or not, making the player bigger etc and the DHB that stops a goal is a red card and a penalty kick.

Hi
The reason DHB is such a big ticket item is due to penalty kick decisions. Limited debate elsewhere on the FOP. Case in point United v PSG.
My take on this is that the new IFAB change will still create the same problem. From what I read it seems like IFAB wants to stop the hands behind the back challenges that's all.
If we use the hockey analogy then every time the ball hits the arm make it a technical foul not a penal foul. If the DHB results in a red card it should be a penalty kick.
Then it is simple. Every time the ball hits an arm it is an IDFK. No need to decide if it intentional or not, making the player bigger etc and the DHB that stops a goal is a red card and a penalty kick.
Yup, I think I just said most of this, but perhaps IDFK would be better than DFK for 'careless (non-deliberate)' handling (as you've added). We don't want even more penalties than VAR is contributing

Hi
Technical AHB IDFK is a great idea.

Are you also about to tell us that we should have used hemp instead of building civilization on fossil fuel and microplastics?

Hi

You would still get teams blasting ball into crowded PA hoping for an accidental Handling call. An IFK in the area is still a potent weapon. But here's an idea right out of left field. Deliberate Handling, still DFK (or penalty) as is now. Any non-deliberate Handling is a dropped ball IN THE CENTRE CIRCLE. This does three things:

1 Stops all gaining of advantage from inadvertent Handling without giving a good attacking opportunity to any team.
2 Prevents attackers from playing to win accidental touches on hand or arm, as they get moved back to centre.
3 Still prevents defender "accidentally" touching the ball in PA, as if it is called as deliberate its still a Penalty.

Last edited:
Hi
United v PSG DHB is a perfect example of the challenge to decide between deliberate and accidental. A straw poll of refs on here will have differing views. Some will say natural position, other will say arm away from the body, made himself bigger, no he didn't, the list goes on. I can argue both ways and be correct. The ref on the night saw it as DHB. Plenty more like that. Here is another
The only fact that we can agree on is that both hit the defenders arms.
There can any amount of advice about arm position, silhouettes or whatever and it will still be an opinion. I can say that both should not have been given.
Both in real time were not given and then CAR shows the ball hitting an arm. That is the only fact that can be agreed on.

It has never been an actual change in the Law. What happened was an experiment in a minor tournament back in the 50's or 60's (I believe in England but I need to track down reference) which led to such poor results it was quickly abandoned.

Well, maybe that's where we're headed now, since according to some sources, the word 'deliberate' has indeed been removed from the wording that will come into effect in June.

Oh boy. There will be fun times ahead. If you think it's bad now, you ain't seen nothin yet.
I like the law, sans explanatory notes just as it is........but I'd rather have all hand ball an offence than the current ridiculous situation just because "football expects".
What a nonsensical phrase that is.....since when has "football" been a self aware sentient being..........

True but he also alluded to changes that aren’t actually happening so I wouldn’t take it as gospel.
If it had only been one person who said it, I think we would be right to be more than a little circumspect but this is coming from several sources within the refereeing community. We all know that they have been talking for several years about taking some of the uncertainty out of handball decisions and the most problematic part of it has always centered on people's interpretations of what exactly 'deliberate' means. So from that perspective, taking the word 'deliberate' out and replacing it a different form of wording (as the OP in this thread did) has always been on the cards, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: ASM
The article below, written back in November, seems to have got a number of things spot on, based on what we already know from the post-AGM press conference and other statements from the IFAB.

IFAB to remove the word 'deliberate' from the handball law

The full article is worth reading but here's an extract of what it says:
It appears that the change would remove the word “deliberately” [sic] and define handball as to do with the hand or arm being in an unnatural position at the point of contact.

Back