A&H

Handball! Utd v leics

The Referee Store
Marriner gets respect these days anyway because of his exp, and the mature sensible way he communicates with the players too. Giving a pk one min into new season and calmly done.
Big diff to that USA pk clip we saw the other night.

Spoke too soon....Leicester denied a pk and thus a Utd sending off, then Fred avoids a deserved yc :(

Not for me, that would be beyond soft to give a penalty for that.

I do think there should have been sanction against Bailly though, not a clever challenge at all and he has clearly led with both feet. Missed the opponent by some way, but should still have been a caution.

i dont have Sky so watching it on Dutch and at first view I thought same, nothing in it, but they replayed it from another angle (bear in mind i dont know what sky have shown or what replays) and the shirt was near ripped off him

Fred certainly a yc and Bailly yes also, scissor motion and reckless for me

Thought Marriner was a bit slow to give some decisions. Inconsistent game today, 6/10 from my amateur eye. :p

Cracking handball decision though. Bailly shouldn't have escaped punishment though, and he got conned with the Leicester dive in the first half. :(

Careless handling? Huh?
While it was 'careless' use of LOTG terminology, 'careless' really is more in line with how FIFA have always instructed us to apply the law rather than 'deliberate', which really contradicts one of the fundamental principles of the modern laws (the LOTG not making sense? Shocking, isn't it!).

Personally I think it would make things less confusing if 'careless handling' was the phrase, not 'deliberate handling'

Careless handling? Huh?
This could be reversed
Deliberate, (might) = Avoidable, which (probably) = Careless
The Law as per the book only gives us two things to go on
1) Proximity
2) Ball to hand, hand to ball
There was some mention of unnatural position in the media, but I don't know if this was ever officially communicated. I don't think so
Avoidable is a better word than deliberate (because we can adjudge the former but are not mind readers for the latter). Careless is a somewhat relevant word because it draws equivalence with offences involving contact
Inference from the World Cup is that FIFA want virtually all handballs given, presumably because the sponsors want as many goals as possible. Until this is enshrined in Law, I'll be ignoring it

Back