A&H

HANDBALL on the line

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Today Orange v Blue.
Orange had a great shot and blue player on the line dived in the air clear hand balled it but ball went in.

I give the goal.

I laugh and as walking to said player he is smiling I say "you know what I'm going to say don't you" "yes" comes the reply. I give him a "telling off" at the same time as laughing as it was so comically - even some of his team mates were.

Did I do the right thing? I think YC would have been suicide really

The Referee Store
Sell the decision - a MASSIVE shout of 'play on - advantage' (even if you don't say it until it's in, doesn't matter!)

Technically, it is YC for deliberate handball. Some games will call for it, others won't. As we weren't there, we don't know. But as Matty says, Law18 applied well!

I didn't have the chance to shout play on - it just got his hand and went in.

I felt Law 18 was applied.

No one complained there was no YC.

Happened to my last weekend in an U13 game, player handled it but it went in. Quiet word with the defender, at HT a quiet word with the captain with the player present, no more issues after that and everyone was happy.

Dan's comment the crucial one for me. If common sense can prevail; great, everyone is happy. But the mood of the game is also to be considered. If you've cautioned someone (esp from the other team) five minutes earlier for handball and the mood of the match has been feisty and a few cards, you may find a big advantage shout, selling the advantage and then explaining to the player why he is being cautioned but not dismissed as you helped him out, might be your best bet. However; it seems in this case you handled it very well.

Back