A&H

Handball in the box - 2015 edition!

The number of times I have had to explain to players/coaches/others that there is no such offence as "handball" is crazy.

Apparently, if it's deliberate handball its also always a caution.

:)

The Referee Store
Like others have said, this causes more grief than anything. Scenario. Defender (who is not a footballer) goes to control the ball in the penalty area, hits a bump, to knee, to hand? Penalty? Had one of these a couple of weeks back (mercifully outside the box), I waved it on as there was no possible way/reason that the defender would touch the ball with his hand.
Cue mayhem...

The number of times I have had to explain to players/coaches/others that there is no such offence as "handball" is crazy.
You need to explain it to me as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Handball is such a pain in the a**, I found a little "trick" to avoid all the claimings, always be the first to shoot "play on!" or "not deliberate" before anyone have the time to ask for anything. I do this from the chest control who might look like a handball to the clear handball who is not an offence because it's not deliberate and it works really great ! I hear pratically nothing on handball situations while before, it was a nightmare

You need to explain it to me as well...

The simple fact to touch a ball with the hands doesn't constitute an offense in football

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm lost, nothing new. I will continue to give a direct free-kick if a player deliberately handles the ball, whatever anyone says...

I think that @paulwfromtheden is questioning "handball"... which doesn't exist in the Laws. The Laws state "deliberate handling", so my guess is that @SM was going for that reference in there...

Reactions: SM
Just to add to this. I'm currently coaching in USA and the referees out here LOVE giving handball! If it touches arm/hand, it's penalised. Don't think the word 'deliberate' has made it into the USA version of LOTG!
Do you ever remind them of the law dan?? I know I woul

Like others have said, this causes more grief than anything. Scenario. Defender (who is not a footballer) goes to control the ball in the penalty area, hits a bump, to knee, to hand? Penalty? Had one of these a couple of weeks back (mercifully outside the box), I waved it on as there was no possible way/reason that the defender would touch the ball with his hand.
Cue mayhem...
I had the same the other week... In the box!! Ball crossed in, defender slides to clear it... Hits bobble, pings off his knee and hits his hand. Big "no way" from me and that was it... Attacking team were not happy. Apparently if you gain control of it it has to be a pen... Few weeks later found out they'd emailed ref sec about me because of that and an awful tackle I apparently missed (didn't miss it but it was borderline reckless and the striker launched himself out the way very dramatically for me. Could've probably given simulation but given the situation (bottom division game so no one expected the dive, the fouler apologising for his tackle etc) I bottled it..

As of by magic, this happened tonight.

Corner which breaks down. The defender with the ball is under no pressure but as he goes to kick the ball somehow manages to slice it improbably and it flies up and hits his own hand.

HANDBALL!!!!!

Nope.

IT HIT HIS HAND!

I know, never deliberate. Get on with it.

BUT IT IS STILL HANDBALL REF!

You have never read the laws of the game my friend. Deliberate hand ball - penalty. Otherwise play on.

THAT CANT BE! Handball is handball!

I'll tell you what, I will bet you all the money you have in the changing Room between all of you that unless it is deliberate handball, it is not an offence. I have the LOTG in my bag.

One of his team mates chirps up - don't take that bet, it's a trap.

:D

I was once taught by a wise fellow to pretend the ball is a wrench. If the player could get out of the way of the wrench, he can get out of the way of the ball. If the player is going to lose his arm to the wrench no matter what, alas, we play on.

Works a treat :D

Can be a pain in the arse - like the game last Saturday where the defender fell onto the ball, which very clearly hit his hand as he scrambled to get up and get rid. But in no way was it deliberate. He fell over. That's all.

Most referees (myself included) give too many handballs
I'd say fewer than 10% of handling incidents should be penalised. I average one freekick for this every two matches I reckon.
Most refs take the easy option and blow for everything. Other refs making my life harder is a running theme.
At least 3 different coaches this season think I had to penalise because the player had "gained an advantage"! :rolleyes:

Reactions: SM
Back