A&H

Handball change

The Referee Store
Hardly unusual, we already have to determine if a kick to the goalkeeper is deliberate for a "back pass" violation.
There are numerous parts of the law that still require the referee to judge intent. I often see statements to the effect that the consideration of things being deliberate was totally removed from the law, whereas in fact the only area where it was removed was from physical contact fouls.

Referees still have to consider whether a player's actions were deliberate in the following situations:

Players leaving the field of play
Saving or playing the ball in relation to offside
Handling offences
"Back passes"
Circumventing the "back pass" law
Touching the ball to delay the restart
Striking an opponent on the head or face with the hand or arm
Preventing a quick free kick

All in all, the words "deliberate" or "deliberately" appear 33 times in the Laws document.

Its barely even humanly possible, nevermind likely to happen
I’ve never seen a goal scored like it but I have seen a keeper who could probably score by throwing the ball on a full size pitch.

I was on our county league when a keeper threw the ball from his penalty area to his centre forward. The ball bounced on the edge of the other penalty arc and through to the opposing keeper. The ball travelled almost a hundred yards without bouncing - it’s a big pitch but he almost cleared it! He showed it wasn’t a fluke by doing it half a dozen times in all. His throws were longer and more accurate than his kicks, and the CF nearly got on the end of one. It was quite hard to control, and would be a real handful for a keeper to deal with on a slightly smaller pitch.
I can’t see why they are doing this, because the keeper is doing nothing wrong - he’s allowed to handle it in his own pa, unlike other players, so all he’s doing is releasing it into play.

It would be great to see a goal scored like this, so I’m disappointed that this is coming in. The chances of it happening are minute but it would take real skill to throw it that far so if someone can do it I don’t see why it should be disallowed.

You need only a bit of wind assist on these to go the full length on the full but even without wind they can bounce over the other keeper and score on the bounce.

It would be great to see a goal scored like this, so I’m disappointed that this is coming in. The chances of it happening are minute but it would take real skill to throw it that far so if someone can do it I don’t see why it should be disallowed.
To be fair, the Laws of the Game for a long time had a ruling that no goal could be scored by throwing or handling the ball (originally in Law 4, changed in 1938 to Law X). It was only in 1962 that the IFAB added the line that a goalkeeper's throw was OK. In 1997 the major re-write ditched the whole thing about no goals from hand or throw and merely said a goal was ok so long as the scoring team had committed no offence. So technically we have had an experiment with allowing a goalkeeper to score from a throw which has been running for 57 years! No one, AFAIK, has ever done it in that time, so I think that The IFAB has given it a fair trial...

Back