A&H

Hamilton V Celtic -Handball not Given

The Referee Store
ref view is blocked, cant see it, so cant give it
I think Hamilton player expected it to be given, by his reaction.

for me too, he central looking down barrel of gun and has no angle.

Is he trying to just get up off the floor ?

I agree though his reaction says he expects a penalty kick to be given.

I don't think that's a penalty at all, looks to me he is trying to get off the floor and when the ball is traveling towards him he moves his arm to get it out of the way

That's only my opinion though

This is EXACTLY the situation where distance and speed doesn't matter, he clearly predicts the path of the ball and puts his arm out to block it. Penalty every day of the week.1543249043552.png
1543249119479.png

You have also perfectly captured the view, of lack of, that the referee has.
In a perfect world, in the pic above, the referee would be, as we look at the pic, to the right hand side of the red player who is on the right, thus creating an angle.

Sorry, that's just not my interpretation.........trying hard to avoid a face plant....
Then I'd recommend you actually watch the video. Only the first 7-8s are required.

The defender slides, but the attacking player cuts the ball back. The defender, has one hand on the ground and is starting to get up, then lunges forward (head and arm first), with arm out moving into the path where the cross would go, and it is at that time that the ball and hand experience contact.

This is about as clear a deliberate handling as you can imagine...

And I think that Ciley has it right as to why it wasn't called -- the referee is in a good position for where the play is, but gets caught out for this particular play and is looking at the player on the ground head on, so cannot see the movement. The AR on the far side is looking through a couple of defenders, and has, unfortunately low credibility because of his distance.

You have also perfectly captured the view, of lack of, that the referee has.
In a perfect world, in the pic above, the referee would be, as we look at the pic, to the right hand side of the red player who is on the right, thus creating an angle.
And in a not so ideal world, where hebjust needs to see it, he could make the sprint into the area, to his right, left on the picture... also placing him nicely for anything else should the handball not happen.

Indeed, the optimum position to be in, is the one from which you can make the correct call !!

fitness, management, knowledge of the LOTG and having shirt tucked in all do you no good whatsoever when a defender blocks your view of the big call !!!

Then I'd recommend you actually watch the video. Only the first 7-8s are required.

The defender slides, but the attacking player cuts the ball back. The defender, has one hand on the ground and is starting to get up, then lunges forward (head and arm first), with arm out moving into the path where the cross would go, and it is at that time that the ball and hand experience contact.

This is about as clear a deliberate handling as you can imagine...

And I think that Ciley has it right as to why it wasn't called -- the referee is in a good position for where the play is, but gets caught out for this particular play and is looking at the player on the ground head on, so cannot see the movement. The AR on the far side is looking through a couple of defenders, and has, unfortunately low credibility because of his distance.
Yes I watched the whole incident.....you may well be right as to the reason why this "football expects" penalty was not given....I still think it was not a deliberate handball......

Like the referee, my view was also obstructed (by an advertisement banner at the bottom the video) :egg:

Maybe there is alternative thinking that says the Celtic player should realize the Hamilton player is going to try to get up off the ground and should lift his next touch instead of keeping the ball on the ground?!!!
The Hamilton player, by putting his arm where he has, has blocked the ball. I agree with above, its one of the clearest examples of handball that I have probably seen on this site and as much as everybody is of course entitled to their opinion, this is a handball

Maybe folk are trying to over complicate it and find reasons NOT to award it, when if you just take it at face value for what it is, its a clear handling offence

It's a handball
@Mintyref , I'm almost always with you regarding deliberate HB, but I can't quite stretch to letting this one tho!

Last edited:
This was covered in the Dermot Gallagher weekend review on Sky Sports this morning. It definitely looks much worse from one angle than the other, and Dermot's view was that he was trying to push himself up from the ground rather than intentionally handling the ball.

This was covered in the Dermot Gallagher weekend review on Sky Sports this morning. It definitely looks much worse from one angle than the other, and Dermot's view was that he was trying to push himself up from the ground rather than intentionally handling the ball.

Surely what he is trying to do is all good and well, but, what he has succeeded in doing in blocking an opponents attack, illegally, and its this which should be punished.

Back