A&H

Half time advice for AR

Ref1995

Yesterday refereed my first game at Step7, only the 2nd or 3rd time I've had NAR's. One of which is a much more experienced level 5 and it felt like he wasn't interested in listening to pre match and thought he should be the referee. He didn't even keep the full match record I asked him too. At half time had 3 cautions in the 1st half he said to me "your too quick with cards and whistle" One caution tactical foul, one for a scissor and one for AA after the scissor. I said its the way I referee but I respect that different generations do things differently. This was really in my head for the second half it didn't affect my performance but I was worrying about what he had said. Rest of the game is uneventful except for the 92nd minute dissent yellow card easy. After the game over a pint he say he gives everyone a chance even if its a clear yellow will give them another one!!!! I HAVE FOUND LAST WEEKS REF!!!!

On a serious note what would you do if someone said this to you at half time. I felt it was an attack on me as a referee. How can I deal with it in the future if a higher level ref is appointed to do a line for me?

The Referee Store
I would take his advice in but if I didn't agree with it then of course you can choose to ignore it.

Presuming in your leagues the ref gives his assistants a mark? If you were not happy with him for not doing what you asked then nothing wrong with giving him a lower mark.

You mention he thought he should be ref? I don't know what it is like in your county but in ours you would never have a level 5 on the line with a level 6 in the middle. If a level 6 is in the middle then his assistants would either be a level 6 or 7. Could this possibly be a reason he was unhappy?

I would take his advice in but if I didn't agree with it then of course you can choose to ignore it.

Presuming in your leagues the ref gives his assistants a mark? If you were not happy with him for not doing what you asked then nothing wrong with giving him a lower mark.

You mention he thought he should be ref? I don't know what it is like in your county but in ours you would never have a level 5 on the line with a level 6 in the middle. If a level 6 is in the middle then his assistants would either be a level 6 or 7. Could this possibly be a reason he was unhappy?
I'm a 6-5 I thought was strange but maybe the ref sec was trying to do me a favour.

What would you give as an average mark to your AR's

That depends on how they did during the game and in following instructions mate ;)

Yesterday refereed my first game at Step7, only the 2nd or 3rd time I've had NAR's. One of which is a much more experienced level 5 and it felt like he wasn't interested in listening to pre match and thought he should be the referee. He didn't even keep the full match record I asked him too. At half time had 3 cautions in the 1st half he said to me "your too quick with cards and whistle" One caution tactical foul, one for a scissor and one for AA after the scissor. I said its the way I referee but I respect that different generations do things differently. This was really in my head for the second half it didn't affect my performance but I was worrying about what he had said. Rest of the game is uneventful except for the 92nd minute dissent yellow card easy. After the game over a pint he say he gives everyone a chance even if its a clear yellow will give them another one!!!! I HAVE FOUND LAST WEEKS REF!!!!

On a serious note what would you do if someone said this to you at half time. I felt it was an attack on me as a referee. How can I deal with it in the future if a higher level ref is appointed to do a line for me?
Say, ok thanks for your advice, now let's get this second half done and get on with the game.

Neutral ARs as a L6? Well done on getting the appointment. L6 gets neutral AR at Cup semi-final stage of cups in our County.

Back