A&H

HAL - dive vs foul

The Referee Store
What a dive! Silly because if he had stayed on his feet, the attacker would have naturally have attracted contact from the keeper or been able to stay on his feet and have an open goal.

Great positioning from the referee and great decision.

Can anyone who has said this was a 'dive' show me that word in the Laws of the Game? Yes the player has dived, but the question is whether he is guilty of simulation, or if his dive was evasive action to avoid contact with the keeper.

In my opinion the way to answer that question is to ask what the outcome would be if he didn't take the action he did? The only outcome, when I watch that, is that the keeper fouls him, and it's DOGSO.
So does the keeper's foul occur when he makes contact with the player? Or when he commits to the challenge which forces the player to 'dive' to avoid it?

In my opinion the keeper's challenge is a foul, the 'dive' is merely evasive action, and the Match Review Panel were correct to rule that the correct outcome would have been DOGSO.

DIsagree. The other outcome is that he jumps over the keeper and takes the ball.
The player, by his actions, is simulating being tripped by the keeper. He wasn't tripped by the keeper and he's robbed the referee of the opportunity to observe whether the keeper's challenge actually impacted upon play or not. If you're going to stop play here, then the only reason you're stopping play is because of the dive.

When you have both an attempted foul and a dive, in almost all cases the dive has to trump the attempt.

I would say a player is entitled to take evasive action when he fears for his own safety, sees a high boot / two footed challenge etc. coming, not a potential trip from a keeper like this.

IMO it's a clear dive / simulation and was correctly punished.

If the player was only taking evasive action then he certainly made a meal of it.

I can't see any legitimate reason for him to throw himself flying through the air, when all he would need is a side step or little jump.

Back