A&H

Greatest Game In Football History: Blood, Elbows and a Riot

Joshref

I started by watching my younger brothers U13s game today. Great game, I thought the young referee (and I mean young, kid was probs 15 but looked even younger) was excellent. One of the best young refs I’ve seen, just really good all round. I normally ref for them, I could end up getting replaced with a performance like that! My brothers team deservedly lost 2-0 but just a good game. However the following U14 game was what was great.

Game was straight after my brothers so whilst they were doing team talk it kicked off. I had no interest originally watching the full game but it was unmissable stuff. Referee was a very old guy who looked the part, he looked experienced and professional. He looked like a proper ref without trying to create some sort of stereotype. However his performance wasn’t similar to the young lads earlier on.

Within 2 minutes blood had been drawn, literally. The away team broke and I could see the home defender bundling over towards a player chasing the ball and he took a step away from the player. I’ve seen this a million times, I knew what was going to happen. The defender takes a step and charges into the attacker. When the free kick is given he pleads shock and points out it’s a shoulder to shoulder, despite the fact he had his eyes of the man, charged into him with a minimal of shoulder and the fact they are miles away from the ball. We’ve all given these I’m sure.

Except that’s not what happened. The home defender stepped into him and caught the away attacker with a sweet elbow. I have never seen anything like it. I can only assume he had history with the player or something because I have no idea in what world a kid decides to just elbow another player within minutes on a football pitch. Even if there was history it’s still unacceptable, it’s assault. I was left in shock that it had just happened in an U14 game. But the best is still to come.

Everyone was like me, in shock, but the shock turned to anger when the ref shouted “play on.” I could only think he’d missed it at the time, and the reaction from away players at the fact one of their teammates was down on the floor with an elbow was understandable. Everyone had stopped, it was an obvious foul (and obvious red.) Another home defender noticing the player was still down kicked it out of play.

Whilst the players getting medical treatment from an incredibly calm coach (his assistant is not happy with the ref) it’s kicking off. Players are arguing with players, the parents are shouting at the ref. The ref decides enough is enough and marches over to one of the parents, slides under the respect barrier and gets in his face. The ref tells him he told players before the match in his pre match talk that shoulder barges are always fine on a football pitch and that it wasn’t a foul. The parent disagrees with that sentiment anyway and says not like it matters, it was an elbow. Incredibly the ref said he saw the elbow, but said arms go flailing in a shoulder barge.

The player sat up with blood on his face and a riot almost went off. When I say blood, I don’t mean crimson was streaking his face. Just a cut where he’d been elbowed with a few trickles of blood coming out. However blood on a 13-14 year old was enough to heat things up. Parents were arguing with each other on the touchline, players were arguing with each other, the game was lost sadly.

The bleeding player eventually came off, and the next 15 minutes were incredible feisty. A few yellows given out as challenges flew in everywhere. The ref was consistent tbf in terms of his rule on shoulders, no fouls for using the arms. Players figured this out and began just charging into each other with shoulders, it was a mess. The ref played no injury time and just ended the half and I have to say I can’t blame him on that one. He had a long half time and the second half began.

Id stayed at that point, I was watching the game after seeing how it started and I wasn’t the only one from everyone who watched the first game to stay, a lot did. Second half was much better to start with.The bleeding player was back on and the tension was dying down. A lot of fouls but less anger. 10 minutes in the bleeding player made it 1-0 to away team (still goalless at this point) and reacted in over the top fashion. Shirt off, knee slide, entire team running to hug him. I’m half surprised the ref didn’t yellow him for the sake of it aha.

A second followed with less exuberant celebrations. A third came with 5 minutes to go but it was disallowed for a foul throw the ref had forgotten to call for. This is when it started again. The ref pulled the play back 10 seconds, back into the other half, saying he should’ve blown for the foul throw and ordering the home Team get the throw. The home team took the throw in with their feet and scored from it, which the ref said was ok as you can take an IDFK or retake from foul throw?

The final 5 minutes saw the home team desperate to equalise and they got a chance from a free kick. An away player shoved a home player and the FK got given. The home team score a 30 yard Worldie (keeper should have saved him but I’m not here to critique U14 players) and the ref disallows it. He says he’d given an IDFK because the away player shouted “Leave it” (where in the LOTG?) and he apologised for not telling the players this but the goal didn’t count.

In the final minute, a cross was headed in for 3-1. I didn’t see a shove but I could’ve missed one. The ref disallowed it for a shove, but the away team was already in full celebration like the first goal. The keeper left his net to jump onto everyone as they celebrated. I’ll leave you to guess what happens next.

The ref tells the home team to take the FK and the home team break with everyone in the corner celebrating. The away team sprint back but it’s not enough 2-2. Parents come on the pitch at this point, players are almost fighting with each other, the game gets abandoned, we leave. The refs in front of us as we leave and he makes it to his car which I’m very glad for, I’m worried someone would go for him and I felt bad for the ref he looked shaken up.

I’ve given this post the greatest game of all time title but in reality it’s not. This is the most entertaining game I’ve watched. But for me it’s the worst, it’s the worst possible scenario to happen in a junior game. I also haven’t written this post to slander the ref. We all have bad days, and whilst I wasn’t a fan of his performance, I will always sympathise with a ref. With that being said he was terrible and I’m going to go into more detail in a second. I also included the performance of the young ref at the start as a highlight for Great reffing.

I wrote this post to share this incredible game, because it’s a game I’ll never get as a ref I hope and one I imagine I’ll never see again. But also to look at where the ref went wrong and analyse it. First the positives for the ref. He conducted himself pre match incredibly, his communication was on point bar the disallowed goal. His communication was so good I knew every single decision because he explained everything so people miles away would know what he was giving it for.

I want to analyse where he went wrong tho. The obvious, he lost control. He bottled the game with some very dodgy calls that even he will know weren’t right. IDFK to retake a throw in? Redoing a direct free kick as an IDFK? The whole thing at the end? Also his conduct with the parent was obviously not right.

Obviously his views are a bit old school, with the leave it and with the shoulder barge thing. I’ll talk more about the latter though. Telling anyone pre match you won’t give shoulder barges is a dangerous precedent to set, idk why you’d include it in a pre match Team talk. We’ve all given fouls where “shoulder to shoulder” is proclaimed as defence. And obviously the ref was very lenient with fouls in terms of shoulders, only giving a foul if the foot made contact with the other player.

As a ref in junior football, we have to apply LOTG obviously. But above all, safety of the players is paramount. It is at any level, but especially at junior level, and especially when you’re still dealing with kids, it is so important. U13 and U14 are still kids and letting those sort of fouls go is not only incorrect in law, it’s unsafe. I will sympathise with the ref, I feel for him after reffing that game, but I will not ever agree with his mentality .

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks if you read it all. I’ve sworn an hour writing this when I should be sleeping I just had to get it off my mind. Let me know your thoughts on any aspect of this.

The Referee Store
I started by watching my younger brothers U13s game today. Great game, I thought the young referee (and I mean young, kid was probs 15 but looked even younger) was excellent. One of the best young refs I’ve seen, just really good all round. I normally ref for them, I could end up getting replaced with a performance like that! My brothers team deservedly lost 2-0 but just a good game. However the following U14 game was what was great.

Game was straight after my brothers so whilst they were doing team talk it kicked off. I had no interest originally watching the full game but it was unmissable stuff. Referee was a very old guy who looked the part, he looked experienced and professional. He looked like a proper ref without trying to create some sort of stereotype. However his performance wasn’t similar to the young lads earlier on.

Within 2 minutes blood had been drawn, literally. The away team broke and I could see the home defender bundling over towards a player chasing the ball and he took a step away from the player. I’ve seen this a million times, I knew what was going to happen. The defender takes a step and charges into the attacker. When the free kick is given he pleads shock and points out it’s a shoulder to shoulder, despite the fact he had his eyes of the man, charged into him with a minimal of shoulder and the fact they are miles away from the ball. We’ve all given these I’m sure.

Except that’s not what happened. The home defender stepped into him and caught the away attacker with a sweet elbow. I have never seen anything like it. I can only assume he had history with the player or something because I have no idea in what world a kid decides to just elbow another player within minutes on a football pitch. Even if there was history it’s still unacceptable, it’s assault. I was left in shock that it had just happened in an U14 game. But the best is still to come.

Everyone was like me, in shock, but the shock turned to anger when the ref shouted “play on.” I could only think he’d missed it at the time, and the reaction from away players at the fact one of their teammates was down on the floor with an elbow was understandable. Everyone had stopped, it was an obvious foul (and obvious red.) Another home defender noticing the player was still down kicked it out of play.

Whilst the players getting medical treatment from an incredibly calm coach (his assistant is not happy with the ref) it’s kicking off. Players are arguing with players, the parents are shouting at the ref. The ref decides enough is enough and marches over to one of the parents, slides under the respect barrier and gets in his face. The ref tells him he told players before the match in his pre match talk that shoulder barges are always fine on a football pitch and that it wasn’t a foul. The parent disagrees with that sentiment anyway and says not like it matters, it was an elbow. Incredibly the ref said he saw the elbow, but said arms go flailing in a shoulder barge.

The player sat up with blood on his face and a riot almost went off. When I say blood, I don’t mean crimson was streaking his face. Just a cut where he’d been elbowed with a few trickles of blood coming out. However blood on a 13-14 year old was enough to heat things up. Parents were arguing with each other on the touchline, players were arguing with each other, the game was lost sadly.

The bleeding player eventually came off, and the next 15 minutes were incredible feisty. A few yellows given out as challenges flew in everywhere. The ref was consistent tbf in terms of his rule on shoulders, no fouls for using the arms. Players figured this out and began just charging into each other with shoulders, it was a mess. The ref played no injury time and just ended the half and I have to say I can’t blame him on that one. He had a long half time and the second half began.

Id stayed at that point, I was watching the game after seeing how it started and I wasn’t the only one from everyone who watched the first game to stay, a lot did. Second half was much better to start with.The bleeding player was back on and the tension was dying down. A lot of fouls but less anger. 10 minutes in the bleeding player made it 1-0 to away team (still goalless at this point) and reacted in over the top fashion. Shirt off, knee slide, entire team running to hug him. I’m half surprised the ref didn’t yellow him for the sake of it aha.

A second followed with less exuberant celebrations. A third came with 5 minutes to go but it was disallowed for a foul throw the ref had forgotten to call for. This is when it started again. The ref pulled the play back 10 seconds, back into the other half, saying he should’ve blown for the foul throw and ordering the home Team get the throw. The home team took the throw in with their feet and scored from it, which the ref said was ok as you can take an IDFK or retake from foul throw?

The final 5 minutes saw the home team desperate to equalise and they got a chance from a free kick. An away player shoved a home player and the FK got given. The home team score a 30 yard Worldie (keeper should have saved him but I’m not here to critique U14 players) and the ref disallows it. He says he’d given an IDFK because the away player shouted “Leave it” (where in the LOTG?) and he apologised for not telling the players this but the goal didn’t count.

In the final minute, a cross was headed in for 3-1. I didn’t see a shove but I could’ve missed one. The ref disallowed it for a shove, but the away team was already in full celebration like the first goal. The keeper left his net to jump onto everyone as they celebrated. I’ll leave you to guess what happens next.

The ref tells the home team to take the FK and the home team break with everyone in the corner celebrating. The away team sprint back but it’s not enough 2-2. Parents come on the pitch at this point, players are almost fighting with each other, the game gets abandoned, we leave. The refs in front of us as we leave and he makes it to his car which I’m very glad for, I’m worried someone would go for him and I felt bad for the ref he looked shaken up.

I’ve given this post the greatest game of all time title but in reality it’s not. This is the most entertaining game I’ve watched. But for me it’s the worst, it’s the worst possible scenario to happen in a junior game. I also haven’t written this post to slander the ref. We all have bad days, and whilst I wasn’t a fan of his performance, I will always sympathise with a ref. With that being said he was terrible and I’m going to go into more detail in a second. I also included the performance of the young ref at the start as a highlight for Great reffing.

I wrote this post to share this incredible game, because it’s a game I’ll never get as a ref I hope and one I imagine I’ll never see again. But also to look at where the ref went wrong and analyse it. First the positives for the ref. He conducted himself pre match incredibly, his communication was on point bar the disallowed goal. His communication was so good I knew every single decision because he explained everything so people miles away would know what he was giving it for.

I want to analyse where he went wrong tho. The obvious, he lost control. He bottled the game with some very dodgy calls that even he will know weren’t right. IDFK to retake a throw in? Redoing a direct free kick as an IDFK? The whole thing at the end? Also his conduct with the parent was obviously not right.

Obviously his views are a bit old school, with the leave it and with the shoulder barge thing. I’ll talk more about the latter though. Telling anyone pre match you won’t give shoulder barges is a dangerous precedent to set, idk why you’d include it in a pre match Team talk. We’ve all given fouls where “shoulder to shoulder” is proclaimed as defence. And obviously the ref was very lenient with fouls in terms of shoulders, only giving a foul if the foot made contact with the other player.

As a ref in junior football, we have to apply LOTG obviously. But above all, safety of the players is paramount. It is at any level, but especially at junior level, and especially when you’re still dealing with kids, it is so important. U13 and U14 are still kids and letting those sort of fouls go is not only incorrect in law, it’s unsafe. I will sympathise with the ref, I feel for him after reffing that game, but I will not ever agree with his mentality .

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks if you read it all. I’ve sworn an hour writing this when I should be sleeping I just had to get it off my mind. Let me know your thoughts on any aspect of this.
It would benefit local refereeing if you were to pass the details of both performances to your RDO.
The good performance of the young referee should be acknowledged and the RDO/League should be made aware of the second match referee, who would be watched on his next game or two if that happened in my county.

Lots to think about here. Not going to comment on each individual incident but a couple of points:

The whole "can't shout Leave It" is an urban myth, much like "you've got to put a name on it". The offence is actually "verbally distracting an opponent" so if the shout of Leave It is made in order to force the opponent to play the ball, then it's an offence, if said to a teammate, it's not. If this happened an IFK is the correct restart, HOWEVER, the offending player should have been cautioned, which I'm assuming didn't happen?

When I first started, I used to have quite a lot of cards, but that calmed down once I started to analyse the root causes of those cards. Examples are where I'd failed to identify a foul or two committed against a player and they've then decided to take matters into their own hands and committed an offence where I've then gone for my cards, or caused them to give me dissent. Big learning for me was around getting the decisions right in the first place and then you head off most of the stuff that happens later. The failure to act on that first elbow has set a precedent for the rest of the game. Had the ref sanctioned appropriately, then it would have clearly set the tone and given him far more match control than he had.

Last edited:
Good read. I suspect you spiced it up a bit but still a good read. Or sould I say that's why it was a good read 😊

Last edited:
For me the issue is clear and simple, it's the type of ref who thinks he has control of how the game should be played and what should be punished in opposed to control over application of the law and what the law wants punished. Or in simpler words the "I know best" type.

Could we compare it to Andorra and their 20 secs red for an elbow?
which I posted yesterday, stressing the importance to be ready for anything and deal with it.

the ref sounds exact the ref we discussed on the first game post? do not listen to other refs.

too much to comment on without seeing it but he sounds like someone just going through the motions week in, week out, and today he got what was coming

Good read. I suspect you spiced it up a bit but still a good read. Or sould I say that's why it was a good read 😊
If I spiced it up it was unintentional 😂. Probably did, I was swept up in the emotion of that U14 match. A parent from the previous game stood near me loudly cheered when the away team went 1-0 up because she loved “the comeback story from the bleeding kid.” Mortifying when we were all stood with the parents from the home team as well.

But every incident I mentioned did happen. And I think the thing about this is game is that I’ve seen all these incidents (or variations of this incident) happen before. It’s just an incredible snowball effect that the first incident so early on caused all of these to happen in the same game.

Re reading it there is one thing (other than the numerous sleep deprived typos) that I’d like to change because I’ve spiced it up too much. The ending “riot” that caused the game to get abandoned wasn’t too bad. Three away parents jumped the barricade and went to the touchline to shout abuse at the ref for it, with one coming on the pitch a fair few steps. A lot of home parents came to confront them and both coaches came over and told everyone to leave. Kids shoved each other and the ref made a runner after the parents came for him so the coaches just agreed to abandon the game.

As for the other things mentioned here, I agree. You’ve got to give these fouls early on, because otherwise it just snowballs away. However I’m not sure whether the time affected anything, I feel the ref was going to not award these fouls regardless of timing. And this leads to retribution. If players don’t feel they’ve got what they deserve they’ll get revenge themselves. We’ve all seen it. We don’t give a foul and a player kicks up a fuss about it, we’re keeping an eye on them because we know he’s leaving one in on his next challenge. The big thing here is that the ref seemed to decide to implement ”his laws of the game” and not “the laws of the game” which only ever leads to bad things.

The whole "can't shout Leave It" is an urban myth, much like "you've got to put a name on it". The offence is actually "verbally distracting an opponent" so if the shout of Leave It is made in order to force the opponent to play the ball, then it's an offence, if said to a teammate, it's not. If this happened an IFK is the correct restart, HOWEVER, the offending player should have been cautioned, which I'm assuming didn't happen?
Yeh, I knew about “Leave it!” not being a IFK it’s one I had to explain multiple times. Personally I didn’t hear the Leave It but I don’t think it put anyone off and no the ref didn’t caution. However I have a feeling the offending player may have already been on a yellow, so I wonder if the ref knew that and bottled the red or if he didn’t know the law. Probably the latter

It would benefit local refereeing if you were to pass the details of both performances to your RDO.
The good performance of the young referee should be acknowledged and the RDO/League should be made aware of the second match referee, who would be watched on his next game or two if that happened in my county.
Yes I will mention it. I was considering contacting the county anyway to mention I’d watched the abandoned game, seeing as I thought they might have a few questions.

I spoke with my old refereeing mentor today and he bought up this game. I’ve DMed you just to make sure you’re the same county FA as me cos if you are, this is the exact same game. I mean, the similarities are too close anyway.

He said the reports of the game were quite interesting, as they asked both coaches and the referee about what had happened. He said a neutral referee (I’m presuming yourself) who watched the game also got in contact with his observations.

They said the neutral refs observation was similar to the coaches, just the coaches was a bit more dramatised (and I thought your version of events was dramatic.) The referee however blatantly lied in his initial recounting of events, accusing both coaches, some parents and a player of assaulting him. After the neutral refs report, they contacted the ref to tell him coaches and a neutral had given a different version of events, to which the ref apologised and admitted to lying!

Incredible if this is the same story. Seems the ref was a bad egg who had a nightmare game. Shame a ref did lie about assault. Makes it harder for those that do get assaulted to get proof and justice if you have dickheads lying about it.

Watch this not even be the same game 😂

I spoke with my old refereeing mentor today and he bought up this game. I’ve DMed you just to make sure you’re the same county FA as me cos if you are, this is the exact same game. I mean, the similarities are too close anyway.

He said the reports of the game were quite interesting, as they asked both coaches and the referee about what had happened. He said a neutral referee (I’m presuming yourself) who watched the game also got in contact with his observations.

They said the neutral refs observation was similar to the coaches, just the coaches was a bit more dramatised (and I thought your version of events was dramatic.) The referee however blatantly lied in his initial recounting of events, accusing both coaches, some parents and a player of assaulting him. After the neutral refs report, they contacted the ref to tell him coaches and a neutral had given a different version of events, to which the ref apologised and admitted to lying!

Incredible if this is the same story. Seems the ref was a bad egg who had a nightmare game. Shame a ref did lie about assault. Makes it harder for those that do get assaulted to get proof and justice if you have dickheads lying about it.

Watch this not even be the same game 😂
Yes, it is my County FA you messaged me with. From what I can tell based on the county’s response and what you’ve said, yep we’re on about the same game 😂

What a masterpiece and ****show this whole thing was man.

The ref tells the home team to take the FK and the home team break with everyone in the corner celebrating. The away team sprint back but it’s not enough 2-2.
Sorry to bring us back to this post but this came to my head and it’s not really a point that got discussed. For the part I quoted above, is there anything in law that actually says not to do this? Obviously, it feels a bit like common sense. Incredibly heated game, don’t make a rod for your own back. And it feels out of the spirit of the game. But technically, he’s ok in law to let the free kick be taken when he did right?

Were all opponents in their own half? Was the keeper on the FOP? A few pedantic things could have been against the law but yeah there are a few kamikaze acts the laws don't stop you from doing but only because the law makers didn't think any referee would ever do them.

DFK just outside the area. Tell everyone on the whistle and defenders retreat, blow when keeper is near the post setting the wall. Nothing in law stops you from doing it.

Were all opponents in their own half? Was the keeper on the FOP? A few pedantic things could have been against the law but yeah there are a few kamikaze acts the laws don't stop you from doing but only because the law makers didn't think any referee would ever do them.

DFK just outside the area. Tell everyone on the whistle and defenders retreat, blow when keeper is near the post setting the wall. Nothing in law stops you from doing it.
The goal was not allowed so opponents in half not applicable.
But I get you.
Nothing in law prevents the referee allowing this.
What I wil say though. How the hell has the keeper managed to get so far without realising a foul had been given.
It's not like this is in a rupture of noise from a stadium and the whistle could have been missed... This game sounds as barmy as they come

One of the things I try to think about is that I should not create confusion for players. If they still think it's a goal, I've done a poor job of communicating my call, and I'm not going to compound that by letting the opponents score a cheap goal. For me, it's very similar to signalling the wrong direction on a TI--if I change directions because I pointed the wrong way, I'm letting things get set, and not letting the team take a quick TI to catch the opponents out of position because of my mistake. (If they are out of position because they assume it is their throw against my signal, then that's on them.)

As to where any of this is in the LOTG, I'd say Law 18. No, it's not written down, but Law 18 is simple: Use common sense.

One of the things I try to think about is that I should not create confusion for players. If they still think it's a goal, I've done a poor job of communicating my call, and I'm not going to compound that by letting the opponents score a cheap goal. For me, it's very similar to signalling the wrong direction on a TI--if I change directions because I pointed the wrong way, I'm letting things get set, and not letting the team take a quick TI to catch the opponents out of position because of my mistake. (If they are out of position because they assume it is their throw against my signal, then that's on them.)

As to where any of this is in the LOTG, I'd say Law 18. No, it's not written down, but Law 18 is simple: Use common sense.
I think it is one of those rarer situations the law cannot legislate for and simply spirit of the game applies.
What does football expect.
No one in world football expects a team to be allowed a quick free kick whilst a team are celebrating a goal that is about to be or has been disallowed. (surely not anyway save for the 11 or so trying it on in that moment)

It's not like this is in a rupture of noise from a stadium and the whistle could have been missed... This game sounds as barmy as they come

The ref was extremely unclear tbf. No whistle was given until the FK was taken. As the team went with their over the top celebration, the ref just grabbed the ball from back of the net and placed it where the shove had occurred. He talked to the defending team (didn’t hear what he said, presumably explaining his decision) and then shouted his decision, causing dissent from the parents, that rose to even more dissent when he followed that by blowing the whistle and the defending team broke to score!

If the keeper had time to make it to the other end of the pitch to celebrate that gives you a rough idea of how long the ref took I think to announce his decision. I still think the celebration was a bit OTT, I get it was a heated game but it wasn’t even a winning goal.

That said, players from both teams were horrible. I mean, one literally elbowed another one in the face unprovoked. Parents weren’t great either. The ref was shocking (and worse based on what RefereeFrom2003 said) but it was just a horrible mix of things.

Wow! 😮 Would loved to have seen that one, although probably I would have been boiling up inside. Sad state of affairs when you hear a fellow referee has blatantly lied in a report!

Brings back memories of a game I was CAR for a few years ago. Not as spicy as that, but could quite easily gone the same way. Away team manager is a friend of mine and he asked me to run the line for him as it was a U14 cup semi-final. Pre-match chat with ref, he tells me what he wants and expects including he will take care of foul throw calls etc, I nod and say no worries ref, it's your game (I refrain from dropping in I am also a registered man in black).

1st half goes by in a flash, nothing really of note. Away team winning 1-0 at half time, should really have been 8-0 given the number of clear cut chances they created, about as one sided half as you will ever see. Referee did his job quietly and efficiently with minimum fuss.

2nd half, different story in every aspect, non-stop end to end, you score, we score... Home CAR starts flagging for away team foul throws, referee agrees with him and gives them. Away team player is rugby tackled to the floor by 3 home defenders in the penalty area, referee waves play on. During the 2nd half I counted at least 5 occasions where an away team player is wiped out by a late late follow through long after the ball has been passed to a team mate, referee says and does nothing. About 10/15 minutes to go and away team are getting extremely frustrated by the perceived injustices in the referee's decisions and sure enough away team player loses it and calls the ref a cheat, rightly gets shown a straight red. Last minute of normal time, home team now winning 5-4, away team get a throw level with the penalty area. Long throw into the box, bit of ping pong ensues, half cleared, away team back in possession, play a few passes around the home defence and striker sticks it into the back of the net for 5 all... away team players celebrate, home team look disappointed.... Out of nowhere and at least 15 seconds or so after the throw was taken, home CAR sticks up his flag and shouts "it was a foul throw ref", ref agrees with him and disallows the goal. Away team are fuming, but considering what has gone before, surprisingly control their anger. Full time whistle blows... Mixture of anger and tears from away team. Away team keeper begins shouting and wants to confront the referee, I know his dad (an ex pro keeper and also a friend of mine), I go to the keeper and stop him. He is understandably angry, but I persuaded him there's no point confronting the ref as the game is gone and he will only get himself in trouble. He finally agrees and walks away. I shake the ref's hand, give him flag back and leave it at that.

Inside I am feeling a mixture of anger and pity towards my fellow ref. I don't know if the ref was just out of his depth, inconsistent and incompetent or blatantly cheating in favour of the home side, who clearly know him. Either way, no doubt about it, he had an absolute stinker of a 2nd half.

Away team manager asked me to put a report together, which he sent in to the FA with his own. I heard rumours the referee quit. One can only imagine what went through his mind during and in the days after the game.

Wow! 😮 Would loved to have seen that one, although probably I would have been boiling up inside. Sad state of affairs when you hear a fellow referee has blatantly lied in a report!
I’ll sympathise with refs, I think that happens naturally. We know better than anyone how hard it is to do what we do.

But refs are looked at as a whole. The actions of the idiot from the original post and the idiot in your story reflect badly on all referees. Especially when it’s a qualified ref. We’ve all heard of LWRs. Just a shame a qualified ref can still be so poor.

I think lying on the report is definitely the worst part. Can’t imagine what was in his head then. Admit to making a mistake and messing up the game or tell a lie that could get a lot of people in trouble.

What’s the likely sanction the ref gets for this btw. I’ve asked both my mentor and “Joshref” but neither knew the answer. What’s the punishment for lying on a report?

It happened in a Championship game between Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago. I can't find the video, but Millwall scored, the referee disallowed it but the Millwall players didn't realise. Wednesday took a quick free kick and broke with a massive overload as most of the home players were off the pitch celebrating. Although in typical form Wednesday still struggled to score against just the keeper and a couple of defenders, needing a follow up from a save if I remember correctly. As you can imagine, the Millwall players and management were incandescent with rage ...!!

Back