A&H

Got away with that one!!

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Refereeing a local division 1 game last Saturday, give a a free kick just down from the corner of the 18 yard box, sorting wall out, sorting the pushing a shoving in the box out, turn to the FK taker blow the whistle kick taken brilliant out swinging header and attacking centre half rises around the penalty spot, headed towards goal, keeper well beaten!!!! To my horror, there is a little old man walking across the goal line behind the keeper!!!! Keeper was never going to get the ball, ball flies in top corner a few inches away from the old guy!!! Team go away celebrating, other team start shouting at me!! I'm thinking sh** sh** sh**what do I do, it all happened so quick I didn't have time to stop play before I noticed it, no one else noticed him. I call the keeper and the captain over and said listen guys, keeper, you were never in a million years going to get any where near the ball, and captain imagine if this happened to you and I disallowed your goal, much to my surprise both of them accepted it!!! 2 mins later I was the best ref they've ever had for giving a great advantage which they scored from!!! Definitely one I got away with there!! I'm assuming LOTG I should have disallowed the goal and made them re take the FK ??

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Not if he, the 'outside agent', didn't interfere with play, you don't

You would have feared for the old fellas safety if it had hit him and bounced back, my guess if would have been a very keenly contested drop ball afterwards had if done that.

Agree with Haywain, the old man is an outside influence/object and you should only stop play if you feel he/it is interfering.

Although, what the hell was he doing there anyway?????

When I play cricket and some tw*t walks across the field, we always hope they get one on the head, so if I was in your situation I would have wanted a bullet header to get him!

I'm glad the ball didn't hit him because otherwise you'd have needed a dropped ball 6 yards from the goal line. Those can be very dangerous and extremely haughtily contested.

I'm glad the ball didn't hit him because otherwise you'd have needed a dropped ball 6 yards from the goal line. Those can be very dangerous and extremely haughtily contested.
Would love tp see a 'haughtily' contested drop ball .. great entertainment :)

Back