A&H

Good job i checked the pitch and nets.....

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
U18 game today arrived at the venue which was a school with 6 pitches, found the home manager and he told me that the game was on pitch one where an U15 game was just finishing which gave me 45 minutes before KO of my game. So as i stood there watching the last 5 minutes of the U15 match i pondered Shall i do a pitch inspection even though a game was just finishing on it ? Should i inspect the nets? Well erring on the side of caution i decided that i would. Well the game finished the pitch was clear i decided to do the checks..
Pitch inspection:
a) Found two pieces of glass,one in centre circle and one by a corner flag.
b) Found pile dog poo by half way line, and a yard off byline
c) Found hole in net, tied broken ends together to fix hole
d) One net not pegged down by upright
e) In one goal found small step ladder thrown into corner on top of small box containing cones and net pegs
** please note this was inside the goal**
Good job i decided to do my pre-match inspections........ Would you have checked the pitch and nets after the previous game? Would you have taken it for granted the previous ref would have done his checks? and assumed the pitch was safe.........

The Referee Store
U18 game today arrived at the venue which was a school with 6 pitches, found the home manager and he told me that the game was on pitch one where an U15 game was just finishing which gave me 45 minutes before KO of my game. So as i stood there watching the last 5 minutes of the U15 match i pondered Shall i do a pitch inspection even though a game was just finishing on it ? Should i inspect the nets? Well erring on the side of caution i decided that i would. Well the game finished the pitch was clear i decided to do the checks..
Pitch inspection:
e) In one goal found small step ladder thrown into corner on top of small box containing cones and net pegs
Good job i decided to do my pre-match inspections........ Would you have checked the pitch and nets after the previous game? Would you have taken it for granted the previous ref would have done his checks? and assumed the pitch was safe.........

And this is exactly why you should not assume. You clearly made the correct choice, well done.

In terms of A & B, dependent on the size those are quite easily missed without being very close. I wouldn't find C an issue if it's a choice between tying it up and postponing the game, although it is good to be proactive and be aware of the hole, it will aid in spotting a shot going through it.

I always check the pitch and nets before every game, regardless of whether a game has already taken place. It's part of my pre-match routine, so I don't see any reason to change it.

Pitch inspection:

Never rely on other people. They let you down.

Back