A&H

Going straight to open age ?

James goodgame

I’ve just completed the basic referee course in Northamptonshire and was considering going straight into OA Sunday football , is this wise or should I do a few youth games first ?

The Referee Store
42 years young , just finished playing but want to stay involved

No issue with cutting your teeth at the under 15 -18s, very worth while, they've got most of the skills but they aren't usually as tough in the tackles.
OA is brilliant but you need to bring your A game to most appointments..

Had you been 14-17 then OA should be a season or two away.... Others may disagree but I started at 38 and did both and its a great grounding..

I’ve just completed the basic referee course in Northamptonshire and was considering going straight into OA Sunday football , is this wise or should I do a few youth games first ?

Do you know Graham Pinney?

I went straight into OA after the Nene Sunday League paid for my course, and I dare say I've learned way more there than I would have just working youth games. Adults will test your judgement and you may find yourself questioning decisions you've made, but the most important thing is to stick to your guns. Unless you make a clear, obvious mistake or something silly like showing your hand the wrong way after the teams switch for half time, don't let them shake you. At the first sign of dissent, make it clear to the players (with captains present) that the next one is going to be a card, and mean it. I find when the players shut up and leave me to my job, I tend to do it much better as I'm not second-guessing myself.

There's no reason you can't do both - if you talk to Simon Cheney on the NYDAL or whoever's in charge of the Weetabix league you're bound to get sunday afternoon youth games, if you think you're fit enough and you won't knacker your knees, try both!

I think youth is perfect for plying your trade until you feel comfortable, particularly at the older end of the spectrum - perfect for working on your positioning, decision making and ability to communicate effectively with players without anything having too much of an impact on your overall match control. Once you're sorted, go for OA.

Hi I was contacted by the nene Sunday league today and also spoke to Chris rowland at NDYAL , I presumed OA would be more of a challenge and am up for that , just wasn’t sure if should do youth football as a slower learning curve , I’m tempted to try both and see how I get on

Get hold of 008 @Tealeaf , he prowls about down those parts. He may well point you towards the right people to get appointments. I wouldn't ask for a tasty one too early in your career!!! :rolleyes:

I went into reffing OA straight after quitting playing (and managing). The local league actually paid for me to do the course, provided I reffed for them for a minimum of 3 seasons. I have done a few kids games since, and I actually find adults to be easier. With local league, the adults normally have one guy coaching with a bucket and sponge and a couple of subs, one of which has to run the line cos he's too hungover to start the match. I find kids games have several parental supporters that have little idea of the LOTG, other than what they see on MOTD. Their little Jimmy can do no wrong in their eyes.
As an ex-player I think you'll do fine mate, as you understand the game !!

Last edited:

I was in a similar position to yourself. Nearly 20 years of playing at a decent level I have just started the refereeing to keep myself involved. I have done two U14s games and an U16s game and they have been brilliant for helping me find my feet. I've had 3 managers compliment me on how I've done and two of them were on the end of fairly hefty defeats. I can only look at it from my perspective but having played has definitely helped me, I'm comfortable around a football pitch and that whole environment. The hardest thing I have found is keeping the concentration up, I have found myself admiring a great pass or goal at times when I should be focusing a bit more. That is going to be a bit of an adjustment.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach really. As someone with experience, you'll find it easier to display authority with adults than a young 16-year old new ref, so I wouldn't rule out going straight into OA as I might with a younger referee. If that is where you want to be reffing, then the earlier you make the jump, the better. A year at youth is a little excessive, I wouldn't recommend more than 5 matches before giving OA a go. If it goes well, great, if not, no one is going to stop you giving youth another go.

Similar situation myself 6 months ago. I want to go up the levels so OA is a must, though I wanted a few junior games beneath my belt first. I've made the jump into OA now, but wish I did so earlier. In junior football I found myself only making 1/2 key decisions if I was lucky. OA though is where I really started to have things click into place. Dealing with players, benches etc. Credit though to junior football, it did help prepare me in some areas for OA such as getting the LOTG in place.

At your age James, I'd just go straight to OA.

Starting out with youngsters might help you get an early feel for it in terms of positioning/mannerisms etc but these things will come anyway. OA is different to youth for obvious reasons (which as a recent player, you'll know).
Doing a few youth games beforehand won't make the OA games to come any easier. If it's building confidence you're after then fine, but remember, you can have 10 great youth matches and your first OA game be a complete nightmare which will probably do your confidence no good at all. ;)
Nah. Throw yourself in with your recent peers straight away mate and see how you go. Let the youngsters referee the youngsters. :cool:

Only my own opinion though obviously. :)

A few months of youth footy was good OA preparation for me
I still enjoy both, but for different reasons

Either way you’ll be fine, some refs only do kids, some only OA some mix it, horses for courses really!

My view is that its easier to transfer the skills you learn from kids football to adult, than it would be the other way round.
Offside is still offside at any level, and a sub procedure is still a sub procedure
It can be daunting doing the first few games, why intensify that by throwing in experienced players, more physicality and generally less discipline.
Afterall an adult playing Sunday league is not going anywhere in the game whereas kids might have a career path and are playing to impress rather than simply a pastime before heading to the pub.

Trial and error I guess, can only experiment with what works best for you.

Back