A&H

Going for 7-5

The Percolator

Alright everyone. I'm hoping to be going for 7-5 this season (why not level 4 I think I'm fit enough I am only 20) I know people are against it and say why rush it but I've refereed for 2 seasons at open age and i've been qualified since 2008. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice and also what's the difference between reaching level 6 then reaching level 5. Cheers

The Referee Store
Can I just ask, has county said this to you or is this your aspiration, like me :D

I'm exactly same as you, current level 7 and from talking to a few level 6's and 5's it appears 6's are similar to 7's except on some leagues they are likely to operate as senior assistant such as the west yorkshire premier league. A 5 would be able to referee on higher leagues and you are likely to work with assistants on more occasions than as a 7 or 6. A 5 in our area is likely to referee on Northern u19 league and on the odd occasion the west yorkshire prem. I have spoken to 5's who are assistants on Northern counties east league.

why not level 4 I think I'm fit enough I am only 20
I think it's great you have enthusiasm for refereeing and getting better but you have to realise there is a massive experience and level gap between 7 and 4 and even between 5 and 4. I speak to level 4's who are our age (20-23) and most of them have been been refereeing open age since 16 and are now part of West ridings center of excellence. This means they get to work with people at top levels and develop but the expectation at level 4 is much greater than at even 5.

As a said I was exactly the same going back 6 months or so. I was saying when can I get promoted I want to operate at level 4 etc. The RDO at WRCFA made a good point. Refereeing is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Gaining experience along the way keeping at a steady pace and moving at the right speed. Honestly best thing I did was just stopped thinking why aren't I a level 5/4 and focused on me now and the rest falls into place as if you're good enough County will pick up on it.

A few years of experience and being young doesn't automatically qualify us to get promotion, hard work and dedication is rewarded in refereeing.

Cheers for replying Arran, your points are quite interesting and ones I will take on board. However I think you misunderstood my question when I asked about the difference between 6-5. I was wondering how different are the criteria for from 7-6 to 6-5, if you catch my drift?

Also it was me who said all that not anyone else, I love refereeing and I don't understand why people would never do it! (That last part was a joke)

No I was ha! I meant is the criteria different from 7-6 to 6-5, meaning what is different? Or is it the same just at a higher mark?

Here is the assessors handbook, got it off of here from someone who posted it. It gives you a break down of all the things you need to do for each of the levels, up to level 4 (I think!). Hope it helps! :)

Attachments

• fa-assessors-handbook.ashx.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 25
Charlie Acton said:
Here is the assessors handbook, got it off of here from someone who posted it. It gives you a break down of all the things you need to do for each of the levels, up to level 4 (I think!). Hope it helps! :)

Can you email this to me as I can't see it as I'm on my phone - thanks :)

The assessment criteria has changed this year as of last year so I don't think it would be much use. However im sure regarding 7-6 and 6-5 won't have changed much.

If you're not careful, you'll become too interested in your level and not nearly interested enough in your performance. The levels are a great tool for leagues and administrators but they do have the danger of allowing referees to use levels as a d***-measuring device when it comes to discussion. That kind of brazen ambition will get you to a certain point (no doubt, you'll work hard) but when it gets as difficult as it does at the even higher levels, you'll end up burning out. Take your time, don't rush it. Most Prem refs are in their mid-upper fourties and you, like I, are in your early twenties.

Not a problem. Those would be helpful to everyone and believe me, I was once as ambitious as you.

Just a question relating to this topic:

If you applied for promotion 7-6 and before the end of October, you had done 20+ games with 3+ successful assessments, is the county then allowed to let you attempt level 6-5 even if you only originally applied for 7-6 in Feb/March.

Thanks

No. The system works in cycles. The decision on promotion is not actually made until after Christmas unless you have opted for 7-5.

Example my successful 6-5 last season. Last assessment (of 5) 31 October - informed of promotion in April. All five were successful, nothing lower than a 75, with an average of 73 being the pass mark.

Back