A&H

Goalkeeper ?

callmemyref

Can a goal keeper score a goal from the goal kick. Can a goalkeeper score a goal when the ball was in his hands and the ball is kicked

The Referee Store
Yes and yes. GKs scoring on punts happen every few years in professional games. I've never a goal kick scored on a full size field.

(And until the last couple of years, the GK could (theoretically) throw the ball into the opposing goal, but that was outlawed in the "hand ball" changes a couple of years ago.)

Yes and yes. GKs scoring on punts happen every few years in professional games. I've never a goal kick scored on a full size field.

(And until the last couple of years, the GK could (theoretically) throw the ball into the opposing goal, but that was outlawed in the "hand ball" changes a couple of years ago.)
What about the offside in this cases?

Cant be offside from a Goal Kick, and unless a team mate was interfering with play when kicked from hands (blocking other keepers view).

This is pretty straightforwardly covered in the LOTG. Have you tried reading them at all?

Even if you haven't read the LOTG in full, which I would really advise doing at least once, you should be familiar with them and with the fundamentals (i.e. the kind of questions you're asking). You’re doing yourself and those you referee a disservice otherwise.

Last edited:
Refereeing football is like operating a complex device. If you want to just use the common functionality, follow what you have seen from others, but if you want to know all the intricacies and be an expert at it, you HAVE TO read the manual thoroughly, multiple times.

I dare say this isn't the case here but one of my fellow promotion candidates (6->5) has never read the LOTG either. He's severely dyslexic. He does the exam by having somebody read the questions and answer options to him.

He's picked up the laws by a) having played for 30+ to get the basics and b) asking questions like this one.

I dare say this isn't the case here but one of my fellow promotion candidates (6->5) has never read the LOTG either. He's severely dyslexic. He does the exam by having somebody read the questions and answer options to him.

He's picked up the laws by a) having played for 30+ to get the basics and b) asking questions like this one.
That's great that he has been able to do that. And I am sure he is a great referee In todays world I can hit a button on my phone and it reads it out to me if I so want/wish/need so there really are no barriers to knowing and understanding the laws.

I’m joking, of course I have read the LOTG
You’ll find that every time you read it, you’ll notice something you hadn’t really thought of before—and that will keep happening for many years. But if you hang out on forums like this, you’ll pick up many of the nuances more quickly.

Back