A&H

goalkeeper time wasting

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I was at a football league game yesterday and the away GK was blatantly time wasting.

He was warned verbally twice by the ref at 2 separate goal kicks.

And, while in possession of the ball in his hands the ref warned him to release the ball. By the time he kicked it 32 seconds had elapsed.

I think this would be picked up by the match-day observer? Surely 3 times (with warnings) and no caution is just a plain lack of control?

The Referee Store
I was at a football league game yesterday and the away GK was blatantly time wasting.

He was warned verbally twice by the ref at 2 separate goal kicks.

And, while in possession of the ball in his hands the ref warned him to release the ball. By the time he kicked it 32 seconds had elapsed.

I think this would be picked up by the match-day observer? Surely 3 times (with warnings) and no caution is just a plain lack of control?
There's no caution for a keeper holding the ball too long.

I agree though, something needs to be done about the "6 second" rule.

I think if you have warned once the next time you feel the need to warn should be caution time.

Warned as in shouted to by the halfway line? Or the referee went up and spoke to him?

There's no caution for a keeper holding the ball too long.

I agree though, something needs to be done about the "6 second" rule.

I think if you have warned once the next time you feel the need to warn should be caution time.

The restart is so messy that it will never be enforced properly. They could even have a directive at the start if the season and tell the clubs that it will be enforced but it will last 2 weeks like all the other directives that have been tried down the years ie shirt pulling at set pieces and moving the ball 10 yards forward for dissent.

The only thing I can think off that will change things is allow the ref to caution but allow play to continue (but that opens up a can of worms) or change the restart. Drop ball from the centre circle for example. This would at least allow the ref to penalise time wasting without all the nonsense that comes with that particular restart.

Time wasting is the worst thing in football. Didn't Southgate say that the ball was in play for 38 mins in the Andorra game? I'm amazed tv companies haven't kicked up more of a fuss about it, especially in America.

Worst thing is dissent (when constant), next is simulation, time wasting comes third for me.

It's actually a good opportunity for TVs to splatter adds all over the screen.

Warned as in shouted to by the halfway line? Or the referee went up and spoke to him?
The Goal kicks he went up to him.

The kick from hands he shouted at around 20 and he released at around 32. This was the 3rd incident.

Just looked like the ref bottled it.

The Goal kicks he went up to him.

The kick from hands he shouted at around 20 and he released at around 32. This was the 3rd incident.

Just looked like the ref bottled it.
We've got ourselves in a rut over keeper releasing.
There's a defined time limit that is universally ignored.
Because of that we now dont know when it is appropriate to actually punish it and award the idfk. It needs a rethink imo. Not a focus for 2-3 weeks an actual how do do we fix this problem.

Only ever remember penalising it myself once (when being observed) but if I notice the keeper dawdling (ball in hands), I immediately start counting the seconds on my watch (by which time a good 10-15 secs have normally passed anyway). Once I've counted 6 seconds myself, the keeper will then get a shout from me "Come on Keeper let's go". After that, I'll watch another 6 secs go by ... by which time, if he's still got hold of it ... I'm blowing. The shout normally does it but before that, it's normal to hear the other team moaning to you about it first which helps to sell.

My view of referee's that shout "That's 6 seconds keeper" every time is likely the same as that of players and coaches. ;)

We've got ourselves in a rut over keeper releasing.
There's a defined time limit that is universally ignored.
Because of that we now dont know when it is appropriate to actually punish it and award the idfk. It needs a rethink imo. Not a focus for 2-3 weeks an actual how do do we fix this problem.
I mean, I think the problem is that the defined time limit is actually too short in a lot of cases. If we're counting from the moment the keeper takes possession, then it can be more than 6 seconds for him to be able to get up and settle ready for the kick - I think it's one of those things where the way to have it implemented more might actually be to loosen the restriction a little and then punish more strictly on a more lenient rule.

Worst thing is dissent (when constant), next is simulation, time wasting comes third for me.

It's actually a good opportunity for TVs to splatter adds all over the screen.

Agreed that dissent is actually the worst thing but I'm referring to top level football where nobody seems bothered about that. It amazes me that global TV companies haven't kicked off about the amount of football not actually played in the games that they pay huge money to broadcast. Amazed American TV hasn't kicked off about it.

My girlfriend hasn't watched a minutes football in her life until she met me and one if the first things she said after watching Man City with me on the TV was "why do they need so many rests all the time".

On another note she is going to her first ever live match tomorrow. FA Cup replay between Yate Town & Dover. The lucky girl

Reactions: one
I mean, I think the problem is that the defined time limit is actually too short in a lot of cases. If we're counting from the moment the keeper takes possession, then it can be more than 6 seconds for him to be able to get up and settle ready for the kick - I think it's one of those things where the way to have it implemented more might actually be to loosen the restriction a little and then punish more strictly on a more lenient rule.

I agree with the idea but I think the reality is that the penalising of the more lenient law will wilt like with all other laws that have ambiguity (ie dissent etc).

Calling six seconds is very messy and fraught with risk for match control. I've only called it once I remember when the keeper was taking the Micky.

I'll let you in on a secret, every keeper wasting time that way is always taking his/her sweet time at goal kicks as well. Manage the six seconds violations with warnings and get them with a card at the next goal kick even if they take one slow step. Can easily be sold, has the desired effect to stop further time wasting and shows opponents you are punishing it.

It's always been taught that the count doesn't start until the keeper has time to get up. It really is enough time if anyone really expected the GK to get rid of it that fast. It's only not enough because GKs are used to standing around wasting time. I mean, a defender who controls the ball doesn't get 6 unimpeded seconds to do something with the ball, and the GK gets to throw or the punt the ball.
The restart is so messy that it will never be enforced properly. They could even have a directive at the start if the season and tell the clubs that it will be enforced but it will last 2 weeks like all the other directives that have been tried down the years ie shirt pulling at set pieces and moving the ball 10 yards forward for dissent.
I totally agree that is part of why it isn't called--it's both messy and harsh. I'd change it to a CK, or perhaps a short CK from where the PA meets GL--and do that for all IFKs in the PA.

I've sometimes wondered if a formal interim signal might help. R raises his arm and once he raises his arm, its 3 more seconds. Or perhaps change it to 10 seconds, but move to a visible count by the R like a basketball referee. I don't really like that idea, but I hate what the slow downs do to the top tier games.

Should it really matter after 32 seconds?

Not really fussed on that part.

To me, if he's shouted from the halfway line, then goes up and warns him, then I'm happy with that as managing the situation. Usually 2 shouts at the halfway line, followed by a direct chat seems about right to me?

If he had gone up multiple times to warn him, or went up to him and then shouted from the halfway line, then he's mis-managed the situation IMO.

It it oversteps the mark you need to make it clear to everyone that he is close to triggering a sanction, a loud shout of "hurry up please keeper" or "time to release now please keeper", or something else is needed. If he then does it again you aren't surprising anyone when you then penalise it, whereas if you've just had a quiet word with him no one really know what is going on.

I've told them to hurry up loads of times, but it is a long time since I have given an IDFK for it (I was young and naïve ..!), not needed to as they always respond to the hurry up prompt.

Back